PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that this is for 570 and 900 rangers so I will assume that it includes diesel's, if not then please point me in the right direction. Just got a 2012 polaris 900 diesel crew as a project rig and am having problems shifting. When the engine is off it will shift perfectly but when I start it I can only shift once and after that it will not shift into any gear until I shut it off. I have checked the cable and shifting arm and they are in good condition and move (as long as the engine is off) to the correct positions. Not sure if this transmission and shifting assy are the same as my XP or not, I cannot find any info on this one but I do know that the operating rpm's on the diesel are much lower.. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Jim, I dont know anything about the diesels other than I remember this is a standard problem with the shifting. It could be a idle speed problem kicking in the clutches.. Seems like a few threads in the archives..

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Jim, I dont know anything about the diesels other than I remember this is a standard problem with the shifting. It could be a idle speed problem kicking in the clutches.. Seems like a few threads in the archives..
Here is some scuttle..."I contacted Polaris about the shifting problem and they said to take the machine to the dealer. This is a known issue with the clutch spring, and it was fixed for free. It worked great for about a week, then slowly started stiffening up again. Now, three weeks later, the problem is as bad as it ever was. Totally impossible to shift unless the machine is off. It also has a tendency to creep in idle from time to time."

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is some scuttle..."I contacted Polaris about the shifting problem and they said to take the machine to the dealer. This is a known issue with the clutch spring, and it was fixed for free. It worked great for about a week, then slowly started stiffening up again. Now, three weeks later, the problem is as bad as it ever was. Totally impossible to shift unless the machine is off. It also has a tendency to creep in idle from time to time."
Yes, that is one thing I didn't mention...the creeping at idle.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This rig is a 2012, taking to Polaris would probably be worse than me taking my 2016 XP to Polaris......also, I replaced the belt but remembered that when the belt was off (checking the clutch) it shifted fine..

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Jim, pull the clutch cover off and make sure the belt is running in the center of the primary. If it's not, the belt will drag on one of the primary sheaves and spin the secondary and cause hard shifting. If that cheks out fine, more than likely the primary spring is a bit weak causing belt engagement and your creeping in gear. Sounds like a common problem with the deisels. Rather than get a new spring, I'd just shim the existing one you have. All the QSC clutch kits come with shims to adjust engagement rpm to your liking. You should be able to source one somewhere to remedy your problem.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jim, pull the clutch cover off and make sure the belt is running in the center of the primary. If it's not, the belt will drag on one of the primary sheaves and spin the secondary and cause hard shifting. If that cheks out fine, more than likely the primary spring is a bit weak causing belt engagement and your creeping in gear. Sounds like a common problem with the deisels. Rather than get a new spring, I'd just shim the existing one you have. All the QSC clutch kits come with shims to adjust engagement rpm to your liking. You should be able to source one somewhere to remedy your problem.
Thank you for the info, I have a spare clutch for the rig that I will try first, if it is still off I will get the shim kit. Appreciate it!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Similar issues on a Ranger 400 (gasoline). Reading the responses here, I reduced the idle to a mere sputter. That seemed to have reduced, but not eliminated, the problem. At least I can drive and shift it. I must say that my ranger has been nothing but problems since the day I got it and it won't be replaced with another Ranger.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
clutch appears to have the idler bearing from what I see, it's a needle bearing that you belt rides on in the primary if it goes bad will produce these symptoms. Reach down between the sheaves and see if you can spin it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I realize that this is for 570 and 900 rangers so I will assume that it includes diesel's, if not then please point me in the right direction. Just got a 2012 polaris 900 diesel crew as a project rig and am having problems shifting. When the engine is off it will shift perfectly but when I start it I can only shift once and after that it will not shift into any gear until I shut it off. I have checked the cable and shifting arm and they are in good condition and move (as long as the engine is off) to the correct positions. Not sure if this transmission and shifting assy are the same as my XP or not, I cannot find any info on this one but I do know that the operating rpm's on the diesel are much lower.. Any assistance would be very much appreciated.

Check your idle rpm! It will be nearly impossible to shift if above 1200 rpm! Typically you should be from 1000 to 1200 rpms! The reason this is happening that you can not shift is because the “drive” and “driven” clutches are fully engaged! The internals of the gearbox can not shift while the gears are rotating! So, either your rpm at idle is too high, or your clutch is engaged! With the engine running at idle the “driven” clutch (rear one attached to the trans input) must be free to remain stationary to allow gear changes! If it’s rotating at idle, you can not change gear! Hope this helps

·
Vendor
2,103 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, Duraclutch here I come....
here is a link directly to it

Todd

1 - 13 of 13 Posts