PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The key fit snug in my old 2009 Ranger 700XP, so I never worryed about it.

Not the case with my brand new 2015 Ranger 570 XP. The key fit was very loose. Loose enough I thought it could shake out while trailering the machine.

The fix was simple requiring about 14 Inches of OD 550 Parachute Cord, and a Green Mini Gear Clip (Mini Caribeaner).

Tie one end of the 550 Cord to the Key, and the other end to the Gear Clip. Snap the clip on the Rod under the steering column, and you are done. Now the key cannot shake loose and get lost, but you can still unhook the key from the machine when needed.

On the farm and at the Range I have multiple people using the side by side, and the key is almost never removed from the ignition.

This is not for everyone, but it might save the day for someone trailering to a site and having the key shake out, and get lost. Other ignitions may fit tighter, and not be an issue.

Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have been hauling 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers and then UTV's for the last 30 years. I never take the keys out.
Even knowing the key fits sloppy on the 570, sooner or later I would end up leaving it in the ignition when I hauled it.
With the leash on the key I do not have to worry about it.

Mine may be the only one in existence with a real loose key.
I feel better about not loseing the key now anyway.

Bob

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
After having a buddy lose the key to his quad while in the middle of no-man's land, I started hiding a spare on my machines. They are so simple to hot-wire, it's not like it was going to leave us stranded.......but having the key makes things SOOOOOOO much easier.

Reactions: fswan

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have been hauling 3 wheelers, 4 wheelers and then UTV's for the last 30 years. I never take the keys out.
Even knowing the key fits sloppy on the 570, sooner or later I would end up leaving it in the ignition when I hauled it.
With the leash on the key I do not have to worry about it.

Mine may be the only one in existence with a real loose key.
I feel better about not loseing the key now anyway.

Bob
Well ok Bob, if it's important to you to leave your key in the ignition then it sounds like you have it figured out. I wasn't being a dick, just pointing out a REALLY easy alternative that has worked for me for 30 yrs as well. Peace.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
After having a buddy lose the key to his quad while in the middle of no-man's land, I started hiding a spare on my machines. They are so simple to hot-wire, it's not like it was going to leave us stranded.......but having the key makes things SOOOOOOO much easier.
I hid one somewhere on my RZR but I'll be darned if I can remember where! :cower: I've searched all over for it - either dropped out or I'm better at hiding than I thought. One more of the down sides of old age - I put my Drivers License on my night stand every night so when I wake up in the morning, I can read it and figure out who I am! :confusion:

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I hid one somewhere on my RZR but I'll be darned if I can remember where! :cower: I've searched all over for it - either dropped out or I'm better at hiding than I thought. One more of the down sides of old age - I put my Drivers License on my night stand every night so when I wake up in the morning, I can read it and figure out who I am! :confusion:
Look on the bright side. You can hide your own easter eggs!:glee::encouragement:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts