PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow first thing that caught my eye was the sticker price! 36 grand canadian for a not so fancy unit. I wonder how sales will be like?
Do you guys think these rigs will sell like hot cakes?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The price needs to be on par with the 1000xp. Also need 6 seater before they will be mainstream.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'21 Northstar premium
70 Posts
And only about 85 miles range, although I doubt you would get close to that on steep rocky trails. I think I'll pass.

·
Registered
122 Posts
And only about 85 miles range, although I doubt you would get close to that on steep rocky trails. I think I'll pass.
To be fair I’m pretty sure the range on my 1000 XP is less than 85 miles. I was thinking it’s more like 50 miles but I’ll have to keep closer tabs on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Jay B

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,820 Posts
To be fair I’m pretty sure the range on my 1000 XP is less than 85 miles. I was thinking it’s more like 50 miles but I’ll have to keep closer tabs on it.

The difference is that you can refill your 1000XP in the woods from gas cans in about 5 minutes. I don't think you can do that with an electric vehicle unless you carry gas cans and a generator and it will take longer than 5 minutes.

If you never need more than 85 miles or do only short trips the Kinetic might be even better than a gas powered vehicle because short run times that don't allow engines to heat up fully will be of no consequence.

I see EVs as a tool, and you should always try to choose the right tool for the job at hand. While on occasion you can use a tool designed for one purpose to perform a job other than it's designed function that use is usually less efficient than using the proper tool.

Reactions: rowedoo and Jay B

·
Registered
'21 Northstar premium
70 Posts

I just looked at polaris website. The standard model has 45 miles of range, the larger battery is a $5000 upgrade and ups that to 80 miles. I've done over 100 miles on a tank many times with my NS. As Pyro said, they might be nice in the right situations, for 30 grand for a bare machine it wouldn't be for me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The difference is that you can refill your 1000XP in the woods from gas cans in about 5 minutes. I don't think you can do that with an electric vehicle unless you carry gas cans and a generator and it will take longer than 5 minutes.

If you never need more than 85 miles or do only short trips the Kinetic might be even better than a gas powered vehicle becasue short run times that don't allow engines to heat up fully will be of no consequence.
I agree with everything you’ve stated. I don’t do long trail runs. I use my ranger for hunting and land management at a ranch where it comes back to the barn that has power in way less than 85 miles. Removing the need to bring a gas can to the barn would be nice. Add the lower maintenance plus the quiet for rides and sneaking to hunting spots and electric is a winner. Just not enough a winner at the launch price and not without a 6 seater.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,820 Posts
I agree with everything you’ve stated. I don’t do long trail runs. I use my ranger for hunting and land management at a ranch where it comes back to the barn that has power in way less than 85 miles. Removing the need to bring a gas can to the barn would be nice. Add the lower maintenance plus the quiet for rides and sneaking to hunting spots and electric is a winner. Just not enough a winner at the launch price and not without a 6 seater.

I agree, the launch price is way too high in my opinion. The other considerations are battery life and cost of replacement when they do go bad. I have a Toyota Highlander Hybrid a different animal but it has a battery. Toyota guarantees the battery for 8 - 10 years and other hybrids I am well acquainted with have had their batteries last much longer. However, when the battery finally does go bad the replacement cost is over $6100 MSRP plus labor (2016 prices). I don't know what kind of battery will be in the Kinetic, if it's simply a bunch of 6V batteries hooked together like a golf cart costs won't be that high but if it's a high voltage battery of the Lithium Ion or NiMH type I expect it will be pricey. It will also be interesting to see how long the battery life is. Climate and charging frequency may play an important role.

One thing for certain, before I ever decided to plop down my cash for a Kinetic I'd find out how much a replacement battery is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
lithium ion can't be charged at cold temps and don't do well then. Might not be best choice for hunting or trying to charge in unheated barn. Many rv'ers won't use for that reason.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered a Kinetic on launch day. They were gone in like an hour. When do you think these are going to ship?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts