PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 ranger crew starts right up and drives great til it gets warmed up then with gas pedal mashed it just loses rpms and speed for no reason. Have checked fuel pressure and it stays at 48 psi even when problem starts so I have ruled out fuel pump. Replaced both spark plugs and drive belt but problem persists. No check engine light or anything. Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Ray, the fuel pressure should be 58 psi so if you have 48 psi HOT & UNDER LOAD, that is telling you the fuel pump is going away.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
If a fuel pump doesn't fix it check valve clearance. The clearance may be too tight. When parts get hot they expand, the valve stems get hot and get longer. If clearance is nil the valves can't seat and compression is lost. Low compression = low power output.

If it's missing when losing power it may also be coils. They tend to fail when hot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My brother who is also mechanic is going to replace the oil pressure relief valve today. He thinks it is getting stuck. If that doesn't solve the problem we are going to replace the fuel pump. Should i replace the pump anyway since it is only getting to 48 psi?

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
My brother who is also mechanic is going to replace the oil pressure relief valve today. He thinks it is getting stuck. If that doesn't solve the problem we are going to replace the fuel pump. Should i replace the pump anyway since it is only getting to 48 psi?
Ray, if this mystery machine is a 800 ?? (with hydraulic valves) why do you think the oil pressure relief valve is stuck ? You didn't mention any symptoms of that happening . If you are "only getting 48 psi " and the engine requires 58 psi, it is time to replace the pump. You have only given symptoms of low fuel pressure.......

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is an 800 and I dont know much at all about these machines. My brother believes the oil pressure relief valve is sticking causing my problems. He believes that the oil pressure is getting too high causing my symptoms since the pressure from fuel pump is constant even when acting up

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Ray.................I give up......Good Luck....

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
This is an 800 and I dont know much at all about these machines. My brother believes the oil pressure relief valve is sticking causing my problems. He believes that the oil pressure is getting too high causing my symptoms since the pressure from fuel pump is constant even when acting up
Ray, meaning no disrespect to your brother, I don't think I would take my vehicle to him for a repair. A sticking oil pressure relief valve has nothing to do with fuel pressure. You may have a sticking oil pressure relief valve as well, but that isn't what is causing the problem you described.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update:
My brother now thinks it is fuel pump. We are getting it replaced and hopefully this solves my problem. Thanks for yalls help

·
Registered
5,639 Posts
Ray, do you have two brothers named Darrell ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts