PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I've seen some posts on here about this issue but I can't remember where I saw it. I'm getting a clanking noise from the front end of my 17 XP. Sounds like it could be a U-joint but they all are good and tight with very little play. Of course I can't exactly find it while riding. Seems to be more prominent at low speeds but it may just be that there is less road noise at low speed. It's time for me to change the fluids in both cases and probably a new belt at 2200 miles. I can't see fresh fluids fixing the issue but again I can't figure out what is causing the noise. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
A lot of times its the brake pads making noise. They like to rattle and clank. Next time you hear it...apply the brakes a little and see if it quiets the noise

·
Registered
54 Posts
Probably should be a new post but couldnt figure out how to start a new one son inlaw 2015 570 xp front diff pinion shaft bearing is out dont know how bad internals are but makes a clunking noise when moving. Where is best place to get a replacement.

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,044 Posts
If it were my Ranger I would put it up on stands, start it, put it in gear with someone on the throttle and slide under it to see if I could locate the source of the noise. Afterwards, I would shut it down and start manually inspecting things by shaking and tugging on them. It may be a U-joint or even the yoke that slides on to the front differential input shaft or transmission output shaft (snorkel shaft) that has become worn enough to flop around on the shaft. It could also be bad CV joints that are also dry. Look for a torn boot and loss of lube and be certain to inspect both inboard and outboard ends of the driveshafts. Grab the wheels and tires and move them around to feel for loose wheel bearings or bad ball joints. I'd check the back too, for two reasons: 1) if the front is worn enough to make noise the back has gone the same number of miles and may be worn as well. 2) Drive train noises can be transmitted throughout the drive train and really fool you as to where it is originating.

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
54 Posts
I know pinion bearing is out can move pinion shaft up and down 1/2 inch or more probably been with out oil for a while checking cows in spring mud just wondering what front diff to use the newer close ratio or not and where to get one. Still cannot find a button or figure out how to start a new thread

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update. Took my Ranger to the dealer over the noise and a loose prop shaft. They say it's normal because of square gears. Polaris said they won't do anything about it.

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
Update. Took my Ranger to the dealer over the noise and a loose prop shaft. They say it's normal because of square gears. Polaris said they won't do anything about it.
You need to call Eric Cameron at CCIDriveline and order a prop shaft from them.
Your going to have sticker shock, but you will have no more noise.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Had my 2018 xp 900 at dealer for cvt drive shaft. Turned out to be brake pad rattle could not believe they could make that much noise. Go to U-tube search { polaris ranger brake pad rattle} easy fix

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine too. 2019 900 XP. It is Pathetic the noise that comes from an engineered product like Polaris. Two dealers say its normal and the new ones sound the same. It sounds like a piece of S***! All has been gone through and yes they say it is normal. The reality is you suck it up or buy something else. It eats at me that for 20K I drive a ride that sounds like a bucket of bolts rolling and rolling. Polaris engineers suck. That's my professional opinion.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Another thread said that the 2016 front propshaft is a direct replacement, and has better joints. Mine's making the same rattle, and I hate it. I can't pay $300 to stop a rattle on a part that won't leave me stranded, but when the time comes I'm going to go with the 2016 version. If nothing else it has a grease zerk on the front that ours lacks.

·
Registered
782 Posts
My 17 has done it from day one......The dealer said that is the way it is.....I told him that for 28 K it shouldn't sound like a washing machine full of bricks......On the good side it goes away over 45 MPH .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts