PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On several occasions members have posted complaining about problems with rats/mice attacking their wiring. I just came across this video which purports to be a solution to the problem. I haven't tried it but it is inexpensive and easy, so I thought I put it out there for anyone interested.
It takes a while for the narrator in the vid to get to the point but the last 15 or 20 seconds has the supposed key to prevention.
I haven't tried this so I can't vouch for results, and your ride might smell like a candy cane for a while.
How to Rodent Proof Your Engine
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
I've not heard of that before. Living in a farming/ranching/hunting area I get a lot of mouse/rat damaged machines in my shop. I'll be passing this along, thanks pyro.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Ordered a bottle of this and will give it a try. Thanks for posting!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope it works! Good luck with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
If one reads the labels on several rodent deterrents there's several essential oils. I used lots of moth balls in off season campers with ceder sachets as well. My favorite piece of furniture is a ceder lined waterfall top chest protecting a very nice early 60's SW Indian blanket I inherited from my Grandmother
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No doubt moth balls have a good chance of working, the problem I see with them is keeping them around the wiring areas in the vehicle and they do "evaporate" pretty quickly, in my experience. IF a spray that works can be made inexpensively it can easily be reapplied and will get into small areas that would be difficult to place and keep moth balls in. Even if the stuff got washed off after riding in water reapplication would be very simple. The only downside I can see to a spray (if it works) would be whether the oil attracts dirt and makes everything a grimy mess.
The jury is out, it sounds like a couple of people are going to try the spray mixture. I hope they will report back occasionally and give results and reviews.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
I was at the home improvement store and read some repellent labels.
Peppermint,wintergreen, cinnamon oil, castor oil? some had a bit of garlic. Reapply every 30 days or sooner if needed
Cab guard or some name like was balsam oil in shavings
I used to mix cayenne pepper into latex paint to apply to young fruit trees to keep the rodent family at bay with good results
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
I found rat prints under the hood of my truck so I got a rat away light from the Ford dealership. I runs off the trucks battery and has a flashing light to scare the rats away. Haven't seen any rat sign since installing it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
652 Posts
I found rat prints under the hood of my truck so I got a rat away light from the Ford dealership. I runs off the trucks battery and has a flashing light to scare the rats away. Haven't seen any rat sign since installing it.
I heard of a like kind device for use in sheds but have not seen much more of it for years. Makes sense as most rodents don't like getting blinded. I have a old Honeywell emergency strobe that I could rig and try in the garage and use some peanut butter for bait to see if it works.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts
why bait it? you just want them gone so a strobe under the hood or in the engine compartment should do the trick, an additional strobe or poison in the shop should drive them away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
why bait it? you just want them gone so a strobe under the hood or in the engine compartment should do the trick, an additional strobe or poison in the shop should drive them away.
Unfortunately, at least in my experience, it hasn't worked that way. I haven't tried a strobe but I have tried poison. I keep bait stations out 24/7/365 and I still recently had some wires chewed up. I also have one of those electronic sonic gizmos that are supposed to vary in sonic frequency and keep rats, bats, spiders and so on away. I actually keep one plugged in along with my battery charger under my Ranger. It was there and turned on when the wiring was chewed.

My home is in the forest. We don't keep trash outside nor do we feed birds. There is nothing other than what nature provides around my home. I keep the brush and grass cut back, there is no standing water for the little buggers to drink, nothing to attract them, except the warmth of the engine when I'm done using the Ranger for the day.

So, if strobes work for certain, someone please provide some definite proof. If the peppermint oil I posted the video about works, again, please let me know. I've been lucky so far, the damage done was minimal and I was able to splice and replace the wires so they work and appear almost like it never happened. I may not be as lucky next time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
61 Posts
Unfortunately, at least in my experience, it hasn't worked that way. I haven't tried a strobe but I have tried poison. I keep bait stations out 24/7/365 and I still recently had some wires chewed up. I also have one of those electronic sonic gizmos that are supposed to vary in sonic frequency and keep rats, bats, spiders and so on away. I actually keep one plugged in along with my battery charger under my Ranger. It was there and turned on when the wiring was chewed.

My home is in the forest. We don't keep trash outside nor do we feed birds. There is nothing other than what nature provides around my home. I keep the brush and grass cut back, there is no standing water for the little buggers to drink, nothing to attract them, except the warmth of the engine when I'm done using the Ranger for the day.

So, if strobes work for certain, someone please provide some definite proof. If the peppermint oil I posted the video about works, again, please let me know. I've been lucky so far, the damage done was minimal and I was able to splice and replace the wires so they work and appear almost like it never happened. I may not be as lucky next time.
We have a pest control guy come to our farm to keep all rodents at bay.
He says you have to switch bait types at least 3 time per year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
I like the electronic rat traps. They are the type that are just like an electric chair, instant death. They work for little mice as well as large rodents like Norway rats. The run about $50 at our local Tractor Supply or about $40 on Amazon. They use C cell batteries and last a long time. Only downfall is they have to be checked often because once there is a dead one in there it shuts down until it is reset. I had a problem with a large rat chewing wires under the hood of my truck. A little peanut butter in the back of the trap, placed it under the hood in an area it frequented and the next morning a dead rat was dumped out in the field. Quite satisfying.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top