PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the 400 ranger but there is a question that has been bugging me. I know the 400 is carb and 500 efi. the 400 is suppose to be 29 and and I have seen the 500 from 30 to 32 horse. putting the efi vs carb aside, how do these two motors compare in doing the same tasks in the same machine? is there noticeable difference in them? like accelerating, climbing hills, pulling and hauling? I just can't see that little hp and cc making the 500 any more capable? so anybody have expierence with both? I see the 500 motor has been used for a long time and wonder how much more capable if any would the 500 be over my 455?

thanks!! Chris

·
Registered
973 Posts
I have the 400 ranger but there is a question that has been bugging me. I know the 400 is carb and 500 efi. the 400 is suppose to be 29 and and I have seen the 500 from 30 to 32 horse. putting the efi vs carb aside, how do these two motors compare in doing the same tasks in the same machine? is there noticeable difference in them? like accelerating, climbing hills, pulling and hauling? I just can't see that little hp and cc making the 500 any more capable? so anybody have expierence with both? I see the 500 motor has been used for a long time and wonder how much more capable if any would the 500 be over my 455?

thanks!! Chris
Chris, I'm curious as well to this outcome. As a comparison, I owned a 2014, 570 (40 hp) and now the 2015, EPS with 44 hp and there is a slight/modest difference in my opinion, but nothing to suggest more capable, just wanted the EPS option.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I had a 400 sportsman HO and a 500 sportsman HO at the same time for a few years, both were carburetor models, and there is a slight difference in power but very little.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Like others have said, there is a slight difference but not much. Either one is a fine engine.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I really think Polaris came out with the 500 for those that just didn't believe the 400 HO was big enough! In the present day world of "bigger is better", the 500 just sounded better even though there basically was no difference! The only benefits to purchasing the 500 over the 400 was the EFI and the gauge package which to some wasn't worth the big jump in price! For years the 500 full-size had less HP then either 400 and 500 mid-size machines and they served their owners quite well and still do!
Just look at the new ETX Ranger that actually has more HP then either the 400 or 500 did and everyone pans it as being under powered! Sad that if it isn't a 900 it isn't powerful enough even though my little 400 would have gone ANYWHERE a 900 goes and some places it wouldn't!

Cheers

·
Registered
621 Posts
^I agree, when we had our sportsmans (300 midsize, 500, and 850) the 300 could do anything the 850 could. I like the big bores because of the power that's available, but the smaller bores will do anything the big boys will. And the owners bank account wont have as big of a dent in it either LOL !!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have a 500 Ranger and my sister a 400 Ranger. She lives on a farm and hauls wood, feed, hay and brush with her Ranger year round. She also pulls the grandkids on there sleds through the fields. We trail ride together and usually both have at least 3 adults in each machine. There really is no difference in real word , every day performance. Only thing is, I don't have a choke to pull to start when cold.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You guys bring up some great points about “real world” and “power/function”, especially given the published limits. That is, the ETX Polaris has stated payload (1,000 lbs) and hauling (1500 lbs) limits. When you consider those limits, I suspect the vast majority of time we are not really pushing our units (bumping up against those weight ranges). I believe where you will see the difference between ability/capability, etc., is when you start approaching those limits, again something I believe the majority of time/users rarely do. Personally, I do like not having to push the limits every time I use the unit and still have power under my right foot :)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Like some others had mentioned about the atvs. I have owned both as well. The wife had a 400ho sportsman and i had a 500ho sportsman. Both were carbed. In a race to 40 mph the 500 is barely half a quad length ahead. The 500 had a top speed of 4-5mph more. Honeslty i couldnt tell much difference at all between the two. Just a very slight difference. Only reason i got the 500 was because i liked the orange le color a d she liked the blue in the 400. Btw the 400 was actually 455cc. I believe they called it a 400 and not a 450 so that there would be more of a gap between the two sonit didnt cut into the sales of the 500 as bad. Either way both were solid and reliable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.