PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am eyeing up the polaris rear bumper. Thought it might be good to have in case i back into something.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I don't think the Polaris accessory rear bumper is very strong and I only purchased one so the grandkids could use the step bar on the bumper to get into the bed. There are other manufactures that make heavy duty bumpers for both front and rear which would probably due a better job, but at a price. I do like the looks of the Polaris rear bumper it matches the front to give the Ranger that finished look.

John

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I have the EMP rear and like it. I t has saved me a few times backing into trees.

·
Registered
357 Posts
EMP is a good rear bumper.

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
I am eyeing up the polaris rear bumper. Thought it might be good to have in case i back into something.
I don't know if Polaris changed it, but the step in the rear bumper, did not have drain/air holes on the bottom to let the water out. The air /drain holes were where the step is connected (welded) to the bumper. This allows it to fill with water and rust out quicker.

I purchased the Bad Dawg rear bumper, it is well made and to me looks better than anything on the market at this time.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I also have the bad dog,,,,,well worth the money!!!!

·
Registered
973 Posts
I added a bumper to my unit for all the reasons mentioned previously, especially nice when backing into an unwanted object in the woods :(

For what these units cost, Polaris should just install a rear factor bumper.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Well I have backed into a rock solid oak tree so hard it jarred my teeth, lol. Bumper was unhurt and I am sure it would have done damage to the tailgate or bed had I not had it on there.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I used two of my friends Rangers this past fall hunting, and I backed into trees
with both. Neither had a rear bumpers. It scared me to death that I might have
damaged them. Luck was with me, neither had a scratch, but it convinced me
that I will have a rear bumper when I get my Ranger this summer. I like EMP.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Any bumper is better than none , especially if it keeps you from cracking a rear tail light/housing, a little, then 3/4 of the led,s go out. :-/. Which cost 62 dollars each. And I have a bumper but spend time in the thick stuff. That what rangers are for, right. K c in u.p.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I made a rear bumper for mine just in case I get to close to a tree when I'm backing up in the bush. The pipe was the same OD & wall thickness as the Ranger's front bumper, I was able to use the Polaris end caps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
If you get the polaris bumper, I'd recommend welding a small tube inside to re-enforce it. I've backed mine into a tree and bent it in, not bad, but enough to notice. For the price that they want, you could probably get something much stronger.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
isn't the bumper designed to give so the impact does not affect the frame. If the bumper doesn't give when you back into something then all of the energy is transferred to the frame so in my mind it seems the bumper would have to have give and have flex to it.

Reactions: jackg384

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
isn't the bumper designed to give so the impact does not affect the frame. If the bumper doesn't give when you back into something then all of the energy is transferred to the frame so in my mind it seems the bumper would have to have give and have flex to it.
I'd agree with that except that as slow as I was going, I would've expected the bumper to hold up better. The reason why I'd re-enforce it.
I plan on making my own rear, something that will mimic the front bumper as far as looks but maybe tie into the bottom, much like the RZR rear bumper/cage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.