PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Polaris Ranger 800
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a 2013 Polaris Ranger 800 EFI Limited Edition. Upon acceleration I noticed a clunking. Checked it out and the rear diff bolt was loose. Looks like the rear diff hole is now out of shape from having too much play. I tightened it up and it seems to have stopped moving but I’m sure that’s not a permanent fix. Anyone else had this issue and what have people done to fix it?
Brand new to the group. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I'm not a fab guy but would think jb weld should do the trick. I quick searched what it won't stick to and came up with this. "
Any flexible rubber surface. Leather. Vinyl" A fuel line over a dowel might work to retain the original hole size. I'm kind of a rigger so you may wait for more input from the fabbers here. Thanks for the pic. In my mind it was a completely different setup.
https://www.jbweld.com/faqs

·
Registered
2013 Polaris Ranger 800
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Drilling out a larger hole and machining a sleeve would work im sure but I was hoping someone had this happen before and had an alternative fix.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I was thinking drilling it out and using a larger bolt. Just not sure how much material is there to work with. I would think it should be okay to go to the size it has wallowed out to. In my view, not much else you can do with that. I'm not sure JB Weld would hold up to that punishment.

·
Registered
2013 Polaris Ranger 800
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Larger bolt would work as well. Would just have to drill the mounts on the frame as well to account for the larger bolt. That’s why I was thinking a sleeve. I just don’t want to have to pull the diff out if I don’t have to.

·
Registered
942 Posts
You have a lot of surface area for the bolt to ride in. I would try a steel or aluminum powder enhanced epoxy

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would add as wide a washer as possible on both sides and tighten the bolt very well. It would be cheapest and likely solve the problem For more assurance you could clean an area on each side and put torque seal on it It it looks good when you check it, good to go.

·
Registered
2013 Polaris Ranger 800
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the help everyone. I will probably put some washers and tighten it right up and watch it. Next time I have to do a large repair it will come out and get a two piece sleeve properly drilled out and installed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts