PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

How would you go about adding a rear diff lock override when all wheel drive is engaged. This would help to keep my rear wheels from slipping on slick side slopes. In some situations I would like to have four wheel drive engaged but the rear open. I would like to control it with a dash mounted switch. Is this feasible?

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
I don't think it would be very difficult to do. All you would need to do is to add switched 12 volt power to the solenoid. No power is locked, and it unlocks when you add 12 volts. Should be a pretty simple and cheap mod'.

Reactions: Jon B

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it would be very difficult to do. All you would need to do is to add switched 12 volt power to the solenoid. No power is locked, and it unlocks when you add 12 volts. Should be a pretty simple and cheap mod'.
I just looked at the wiring schematics and it states, "Differential Solenoid, Location Rear Diff., Note: Powered to unlock differential.
CAUTION: DO NOT POWER 12V FOR MORE THAN 1 SECOND."
Any idea what this caution means?

Reactions: carnivore

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
I just looked at the wiring schematics and it states, "Differential Solenoid, Location Rear Diff., Note: Powered to unlock differential.
CAUTION: DO NOT POWER 12V FOR MORE THAN 1 SECOND."
Any idea what this caution means?
The power is pulsed (not constant), so applying constant power can make the solenoid get hot. Why Polaris designed it that way makes absolutely no sense at all, but that's how it is. So there IS the potential for damage if you "hot-wire" it in the manner that I described......but I have read where many others powered theirs like that without any ill affects. Back in the day when one of the only engine mod's was using a Sportsman ECU, the '07 and later models would lose the ability to unlock the rear diff' when adding that ECU......so I've seen more than one person bypass the ECM with the "hot-wire" method and not have issues. Last time I checked, I think that the solenoid is only about $60......so the risk isn't a HUGE one. So there's my disclaimer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How could you get "pulsed" 12v power to the diff to unlock the rear while in 4 wheel drive so the rear would be open, and still have the normal option of locked rear diff when in 4 wheel drive and either option in rear drive? I would really like to have the option of open or locked rear in both rear wheel drive and all wheel drive.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
How could you get "pulsed" 12v power to the diff......
That is a question I can't answer. The others that had modified theirs were all using continuous power. I suppose there is something that can be added to make it pulsed, but that's beyond my electrical expertise.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't want to fry my electronics, especially my ECU so I guess I am on hold unless I can get some more information from the forum.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Its actually a pulsed ground, not power. As Jerry has stated we have had a number of members do this mod. You will need a seperate switch, and leave the wires from the ecu disconnected, so it will not affect the ecu.

Reactions: kyafield

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its actually a pulsed ground, not power. As Jerry has stated we have had a number of members do this mod. You will need a seperate switch, and leave the wires from the ecu disconnected, so it will not affect the ecu.
Would anyone have a link for this mod, or search parameter I could try? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
The plus would have to be so rapid for it to function that it would almost be like constant otherwise the solenoid would want to cycle, another engineering function that makes you scratch your head.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
......another engineering function that makes you scratch your head.
Definitely. Why they didn't just use a continuous duty solenoid is beyond my comprehension.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone who has tried this mod I would like to have your insight. Wiring diagram, how to of switch install, or any other information will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could I tie the switch into the harness plug just above the solenoid under the bed, or would this mess with the ecu? Which wires from the ecu need to be disconnected?

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Id make sure any power to the solenoid only went to the solenoid. In other words any wires leading back from the solenoid should be disconnected

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think it finally hit me. Just unplug the two wire harness above the solenoid from the three way oem selection switch, then run my power switch directly to the solenoid, as one of the two wires going to the solenoid might have a tag going back to the ecu? Then if I want turf mode 2wd or 4wd with open rear, I power the solenoid with the accessory switch. Yes?

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
There ya go, thats it.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I could be wrong here, but if the ground wire to the solenoid is pulsed, then there should be no problem using the 3 way switch to disconnect the power wire from the solenoid and to run direct battery non pulsed power to the solenoid with no ill effects?

My theory on why they used a pulsed solenoid was to keep people from attempting to mess with it.

I've been wanting to disable the diff lock while in awd ever since I started owning rangers. There's been countless objects I've almost hit (and some that I have) because I was unable to steer in slippery conditions and the diff lock kept me plowing forward. diff lock should be optional in 2 or 4wd

·
Registered
358 Posts
How about going at it another way?

Since the rear differential lock is pulsed and the front isn't, could you disconnect the factory wiring that controls the Hilliard front axle and instead connect it to its own switch?

Let the stock awd switch handle rear diff lockup and another switch handle front axle lockup.

I'm sure otrattw makes a switch for front axle disconnect or could.

Reactions: VAGGuy

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Yes, it is pulsed.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts