PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

rear dust shield with SMV triangle - mounting suggestions

9K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  fourlow 
#1 · (Edited)
I don't spend a lot of time on the roads but I do occasionally need to use them to get from trail to trail, so I always want to have my SMV triangle mounted on my buggy.
I currently have the triangle mounted to the rear bar (behind the passenger) with some clamps (McMaster Carr!!! Yeah!). you can kinda see in the pic.

I'm considering buying a dust stopper -
Mid Size Polaris Ranger Rear Dust Stopper P N 11703 Fits Mid Size Polaris Range | eBay
- but that leaves me with the issue of where to mount the SMV triangle.
I don't really want to drill holes in the tailgate, so I'm looking for suggestions. I've searched the forums but haven't found many options.

Any suggestions out there?
Many Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
small piece of aluminum angle and screw it to the top of the bed. or just screw sign directly to bed.

Reactions: Chad 22
#3 ·
Here in Canada you can buy what they call Construction Velcro (with adhesive back) at Canadian Tire. I'm sure you could find it at a hardware store in the US. It's 2" wide I believe and holds very strongly. I use it to hold my license plate on my tailgate. I also use it to help hold on my homemade (PRC inspired) mud blockers. If you can find a level surface I would bet it would hold your SMV triangle just fine. The only thing is that you can't stick the Velcro on in the cold or the adhesive wont hold. But if you put it on when it's warm it holds very well. Also, if you change you mind down the road you can pull it off with a bit of work and clean up the left over adhesive with something like goo-b-gone. Anyway, might be worth a try.

Reactions: Chad 22 and fswan
#7 ·
I like that idea - if the tailgate has a nice level spot on it, I'll give it a try. Best of both worlds - I can mount it to the tailgate where it probably belongs, but I don't need to drill any holes. I'd hate to leave holes in it if I ever take off the triangle.

Thanks!

#4 ·
WOuldn't the SMV show through the plastic window on that dust blocker? Or is that not legal? Other than that the bed like others have said might be your best bet, either the tailgate or the front edge. You also could try mounting one to a lock and ride plug in the bed side for a quick install when you are using the dust blocker...

#5 ·
If the velcro doesn't seem to work - I'll try the lock and ride plug. I have some of those and a few pieces of scrap around I could make a bracket. Thanks!

#8 ·
On both of mine I mounted a removeable triangle. You drill in a bracket to secure it properly, then the triangle pops off and on the bracket.

It does involved drilling holes in the tailgate. That doesn't bother me. If you ever want to take the bracket off you just put the screws back in them or buy plastic plugs to cover the hole. YMMV.

#9 ·
How I mounted my SMV triangle. I had already made the side racks.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Military vehicle Transport

#10 ·
3m makes a strong thin double stick tape that might fit more flush on the tailgate. Use alchohol to clean surface first. Or, might fashion some tent pole bungee cord to wrap around the tailgate and hold the sign on. Make it snug.

#11 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive tire
I trimmed the top and bottom of my platic SMV triangle, used 3 screws. The thin plastic flexes to account for the tailgate shape, and gate opens/closes without hitting bumper tube.Plus , I can reach into the bed from the back.
When you want to remove SMV , use black plastic or metal fasteners to hide holes.

#14 ·
Nice air holes

#15 ·
LOL

I was thinking someone was having a problem w/ their drill. Either that or lightening holes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.