PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, today my 2013 900 toasted the rear end. The housing just under the fill plug is all cracked with oil leaking out. Toast ! Called polaris here in Canada and they want $3000 for a new rear end/ Trans as they are all one piece. Any sugestions ??? I've got quite a few miles on this machine but not enough to blow a rear end like that. Front diff is probably next on a 2 yr old machine. Pathetic for a expensive machine to begin with.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
What size tires are you running and were you doing anything out of the norm when this happened?

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
It sounds like the shifter fork compression springs or the planetary gears for the Turf Mode let go.

RussB, do you need turf mode?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Hey Russ, I take it no extended warranty? X2 on the details of the wreck and general use of your machine. --reo

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Russ-

you might be able to get away with just buying the case half, and the busted internals. still it will cost you at least $1500 to fix it I'm guessing. but, it's stilll cheaper than a new one.

or you could give powersports nation a call, they might have a complete unit they could ship up to you.

yes, I agree, pathetic reliability for such expensive machines. been where you are several times, and it's not pretty.

·
Registered
6,063 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys. Thanks for the replys. Running stock tire size. 2" lift. Was driving through some deep snow when it blew but has been making some weird sounds for a couple days. Was trying to locate the noise in the evenings. Then found it the easy way when it broke. Noticed oil on the snow when I backed up.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't run this machine hard. Mostly forest service roads and trails. Don't mud bog it. Use it to plow the driveway and chores around the property. Not to impressed with the week drive lines in these units. Great that the tranny and rear end are all one piece to keep it solid. But not a
Good design when one fails and you have to replace a perfectly good Trans to replace a
Busted rear end.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry toxic just a saw your question. I don't use turf mode much at all. I do run down the paved road a mile or so once in a while and wonder if I should be in turf mode so the rear end doesn't bind up.. But I'm not sure if that would be the right thing to do or not.

·
Super Moderator
6,851 Posts
Sorry toxic just a saw your question. I don't use turf mode much at all. I do run down the paved road a mile or so once in a while and wonder if I should be in turf mode so the rear end doesn't bind up.. But I'm not sure if that would be the right thing to do or not.
The reason I was asking is, if you are going to purchase a new trans, I would purchase the Highlifter version. It uses a spool and has the upgraded reverse chain.
You do loose turf mode with this setup and will have to purchase a secondary clutch ( 14' or 15', there are some used ones up for sale, since most are going to the duraclutch).

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
holy Christ babbits online told me for my 800 2010 1796.00 wow I would put my own in for that kind of money or scrap yard it on e-bay T&S
Hey guys, today my 2013 900 toasted the rear end. The housing just under the fill plug is all cracked with oil leaking out. Toast ! Called polaris here in Canada and they want $3000 for a new rear end/ Trans as they are all one piece. Any sugestions ??? I've got quite a few miles on this machine but not enough to blow a rear end like that. Front diff is probably next on a 2 yr old machine. Pathetic for a expensive machine to begin with.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
$3000 canadian is for the complete drop in case and rear end. Not labour to put it in. I have to re and re it myself for that amount. Don't know what's involved with removing it at this point but I'm sure I can figure it out. Anyone have a service manual for the 2013 ranger. ???

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hey Bud can you help me out with that service manual? I am replacing my rear case too.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I got my manual from this site for $10. It's a really nice quality PDF and well worth the $10! Here is a link for the non-eps model. They also have one there for the eps models as well. The site has manuals for many different years and models.

2013 Polaris Ranger XP 900 Service Manual PDF Download

·
Registered
212 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 18 of 18 Posts