PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Polaris warrantied the stock muffler because of a rattle in muffler. Now with the new out of the box muffler it gets red hot from the manifold to the muffler tip. Anyone ever had this problem? 2015 570 Crew

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
There are several questions that need answers.

1. Is getting red hot normal?
My opinion, no. I have a 2015 570 FS and have not seen this occur, but maybe I just haven't been observant enough.

2. If it is not normal could the problem be what caused the original muffler to fail and eventually rattle?

3. What might be the cause of the muffler getting so hot if it isn't normal?
Too much unburned fuel getting to the exhaust? (ECU Programming)
Cam timing that is off keeping the exhaust valve open for too long. (Possible but not likely)
Ignition Timing retarded (ECU programming)
Engine overheating due to overloading. (Running in a gear too high for load conditions)

4. Restricted exhaust. Even a new muffler can be defective.

All of this is pie in the sky of course. It may just be that due to emissions requirements and lean running, this is normal. Hopefully others with 570s will report whether they have experienced similar exhaust heating.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I have seen several complaints on PRC of 570 red hot mufflers and even some melting plastic from it.. No real remedies given for it although I am thinking running lean to comply with the EPA Gestapo is probably the cause.......

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
look for restrictor plates in intake tubes maybe T&S wow that's hot as a welder gets

·
Registered
56 Posts
My 2015 full size 570 XP also does this i worried about it at first but havent had any problems with it. i have right around 900 miles on mine. I also believe they have these machines running lean is why i would love to find a after market programer but i havent had any luck with that

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We are gonna try a different muffler off a machine same year that doesn't do this see what happens.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
wonder if shielding is part of blame I would think lean also T&S

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Swapped mufflers with same year machine it was 980 degrees with loaner muffler at the muffler the loaner machine with the original hot muffler was at 550 degrees same spot so it's not the muffler it's running lean we guess? Any suggestions what to do next?

·
Registered
426 Posts
Subscribed... interested to see the results.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Having verified that it is definitely not a muffler defect, and that a huge temperature difference is present between 570 machines, it seems like checking fuel pressure and reflashing or just plain changing out ECU's would be the first places to go. IOW's there has to be some logical (mechanical) reason for one running so lean. On the older (more mature units) the TPS and the air flow on throttle body control the bulk of the airflow mixture (after the fuel pressure and ECU that is) but I am not familiar with the workings of the 570 throttle body/throttle/airflow control .
If all else fails, a fuel controller would be the next logical solution...........Kinda spendy but would solve the problem....Much cheaper on EBAY....http://www.2brotherspowersports.com...tion-controller-detail.htm?productid=21283654

"The Fusion EFI allows for very specific fuel adjustment of the entire range of throttle openings and RPM combinations"

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Reactions: SlimRockett

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We got word today the Ranger is fixed! After long holds and calling a couple days to Polaris Corporate they agreed to let a dealer look at it and warranty the repair! The ECM was setup wrong from factory it was setup for a 570 w/o PS is what they said. Rode it and it gets to 700 degrees now will ride tonight see if it glows anymore. We think that's what made original muffler fail internally.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's what I was thinking its electric PS why would that make a difference on tuning the motor?

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Slim, I do not have an answer.
I just wanted to say I'm not buying the different ECM programming, between the EPS and non EPS units, as a possible cause.
Yep, nope.........

Reactions: Tarus

·
Super Moderator
6,859 Posts
That's what I was thinking its electric PS why would that make a difference on tuning the motor?
IMO, Digital Wrench should have pointed toward a possible cause.
If your dealer is fluent in the functions of Digital Wrench.

Reactions: Clubin
1 - 20 of 51 Posts