PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
There really isn't but a few things that could cause this. Engine running lean, this could be because of fuel starvation or the engine is sucking air. You can spray carb cleaner around intake and air box to check this. If the engine revs up as you spray the carb cleaner, it's sucking air. Note: Do this before your exhaust gets red hot and have an extinguisher handy either way. Fuel starvation will be pump or programing. Best find another dealer to check these as the one you have has proven they are not competent. Timing, here again get another dealer or shop. Possible exhaust restriction but I really don't think so. You might could try to take the boot loose where the breather hose connects to the frame and tape over the breather hose with duct tape ( don't fall out folks ). Tape half the breather hose opening off, maybe more and take a ride ( tape breather hose good so it doesn't suck it into the air box ). If this stops your problem your engine is running lean. This does work for trouble shooting carbed bikes, it should with the fuel injection but may not, Toxic or Jungle may want to chime in on this. You will not want to run it like this forever but you can tell your dealer of your findings and let them know you want it remapped. Orrrr as Jungle I think suggested, buy a program and map it yourself. I hope some of this will help you. Danny

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Let me back up and tell this story. The dealer we use in this area a long time great dealer! He warrantied the muffler 2 nights later the dealership burns to the ground so now I have to find a dealer willing to look at it he always did the call Polaris leg work for us! I did hear he is rebuilding bigger and better!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Storing a few to many lean running 570's overnight ?

"2 nights later the dealership burns to the ground"

Reactions: trog

·
Registered
91 Posts
Well keep us posted. I would not be able to live with the situation you have and by the way you sound you can't either. Good luck man.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Slim, did the dealer check the fuel pressure or TPS ? Something that could actually cause the symptoms you have ? That EPS diagnosis thingy they spewed reminds me of the old Flux Capacitor gone bad/need replacement shtick..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey, just a thought but would the person that let you swap exhaust let you try his ecu? This could be helpful.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As far as we know they only plugged it in to check ECU, I didn't want to ask to borrow a ECU and for some reason his start doing this. I think fuel pressure now has to be checked.

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Find someone with an exhaust gas analyzer. That simple tailpipe test should tell you whether it's running lean or not.

Retarded ignition timing is another possibility. One would think the ECU would handle all ignition timing issues, however if the Crankshaft Position Sensor is not calibrated correctly and sending an improper signal to the ECU it could cause the timing to be retarded even though the ECU checks out good and there are no codes. In that case the ECU "thinks" the signal it is getting for a given RPM and fuel delivery is proper when in fact it really isn't. Perhaps you can get your dealer to swap out the CPS to see if any change occurs. The CPS wiring and connectors should also be checked for corrosion and bad connections. Voltage variation is how the ECU "knows" the crankshaft position. (As a point of interest, in passenger vehicles bad connections at connectors are responsible for a large portion of faults in computerized engine control systems)
It may be far fetched, however if the ECU could be programmed for a unit with power steering and put in a unit without PS, as your dealers says it was, then perhaps it could occur that the encoder ring that sends the signal for crankshaft position could be improperly positioned on the flywheel during manufacture or there could be a partially sheared flywheel key. A static timing harness may be available at the dealer to check timing, or a check to be certain that the "V" mark on the flywheel viewed through the CPS hole is aligned with the CPS timing hole and the piston is truly at top dead center. Even a little off can be a few degrees of timing and can make a big difference.

I'm just suggesting that you try to cover all bases here since your efforts thus far have proved ineffectual. Weird things can happen, they usually happen to me; so I no longer discount even the oddball possibilities.

Reactions: SlimRockett

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Dealer says Polaris wants to check the octane in fuel.
Sounds like a put off to me. Much easier to drain the tank and add fresh high test.
If low octane was a problem you would have pinging and detonation, both of which would be discernible by reading spark plugs.

Reactions: jungleman

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I am kind of a bottom line kind of guy. It is obvious that the engine is operating to lean and it seems like the bulk of the effort should be to figure out why.............it is operating.........to lean.. it wont take as long to fix it that way.......I figure..... And if you have to buy RACING GAS to run cool...wt...f

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I am kind of a bottom line kind of guy. It is obvious that the engine is operating to lean and it seems like the bulk of the effort should be to figure out why.............it is operating.........to lean.. it wont take as long to fix it that way.......I figure..... And if you have to buy RACING GAS to run cool...wt...f
I agree 100%, and, not to belabor a previous post, a simple exhaust gas test that takes 5 minutes max either confirms or eliminates the possibility of a mixture issue.
Run the test, fix the problem or move on to the next possibility if that isn't the problem.

Note to forum administrator: why did "And if you have to buy RACING GAS to run cool...wt...f" get left off of Kris's post when I can see it if I reply with quote?

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
I agree 100%, and, not to belabor a previous post, a simple exhaust gas test that takes 5 minutes max either confirms or eliminates the possibility of a mixture issue.
Run the test, fix the problem or move on to the next possibility if that isn't the problem.

Note to forum administrator: why did "And if you have to buy RACING GAS to run cool...wt...f" get left off of Kris's post when I can see it if I reply with quote?
??? I can see it both ways.????

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
??? I can see it both ways.????
Now, that's weird. When I posted my last response Kris' post ended with "cool...", yet I could see the entire response in the quote while I was composing. Maybe my computer has a glitch. I see it all now as well.

My apologies for causing any concerns.

·
Registered
651 Posts
At least you could still light your cigar if your lighter runs out of butane.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Update dealer called with all new exhaust installed said it didn't get above 550 degrees when they drove it around today so he is picking it up tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Yo Slim, with it running so lean, I wouldn't get to excited about it being fixed. Maybe after a couple more new complete exhaust systems installed, the stealer will get tired and then try to figure out why it is running so lean,,,,,,, running so lean........running so lean....running so lean.......

21 - 40 of 51 Posts