PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well guess what!! The all new exhaust didn't fix it my buddy took it back to the dealer he bought it from now they are back in business again and Polaris says the engineering team is gonna look into it!

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Well guess what!! The all new exhaust didn't fix it my buddy took it back to the dealer he bought it from now they are back in business again and Polaris says the engineering team is gonna look into it!
No real surprise here. Polaris is just grabbing at straws and changing parts instead of doing what real mechanics do, diagnostics and testing. Parts changing to solve a problem is an expensive and time consuming method of resolving a problem.

Reactions: trog

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
really reminds me of government work T&S

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Polaris corp says ride it nothing is wrong with it.

Unless you have an extended warranty, which seems to be worth very little for some who have tried to use it, Polaris is off the hook no matter what happens after your OEM warranty runs out. If nothing else keep all paperwork you have received for any work attempting to diagnose or correct he problem, and get Polaris's response that nothing is wrong in writing. If nothing else, when the machine burns down later on you have some evidence for a law suit.

The other option that may be worth exercising is to do what I have previously mentioned, take it somewhere that can read exhaust gases and find out whether it is running lean or not. You need a capable mechanic that is a true diagnostician rather than just a parts changer, guesser. If it turns out that it is extremely lean or that unburned fuel is making it to the exhaust and burning there they should be able to tell you and the source of the problem can be located, finally, and repaired.

Should you have to go through this? Absolutely not, but the choice is to deal with shortened life of mufflers at the very least and possibly the engine at worst. You now have an investment to protect and Polaris isn't going to help you after you are out of warranty.

If nothing else the exhaust gas analyzer may provide peace of mind. If it tells you the ratios are correct and the muffler is still getting red hot, at least you know it isn't due to an engine damaging lean condition.

I have little doubt that the OEM fuel mapping is on the lean side to meet emissions requirements. Perhaps an aftermarket tuner can get ratios closer to the 14.7:1 norm of the days of old while improving drivability, increasing power slightly and resolving the red muffler issue.

I still have questions about cam timing. As stated previously, if cam timing is off and there is too much overlap the exhaust valve is open to the muffler/exhaust system too early in the power stroke forcing some hot burning gasses into the exhaust causing it to overheat. Red hot exhaust can be found often in high performance engines with cams that have lots of overlap which provides high RPM power but run with a lope at idle due to mixing of intake and exhaust gasses. In middle ranges above idle exhaust can become red hot.
A test for this may be as simple as a compression test. Lower cranking compression than specified may be caused by too much overlap. A degree wheel and valve cover removal may be used to verify cam timing as well as can a degree wheel and a leak down setup. Comparison of actual cam timing to specified cam timing can verify that things are proper.

Reactions: SlimRockett

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
figure out why it is running so lean,,,,,,, running so lean........running so lean....running so lean.......or it could be..........you know.......running lean...

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Well my buddy fixed his muffler problem! The dealer took it in on trade for a crew 1000!

·
Registered
2020 Ranger Northstar Crew Ultimate
263 Posts
I’ll throw this in for laughs. 2016 turbo. It’s mine. This is normal. It would glow like a light bulb.
3065B495-EDAD-43FD-A437-92A4E7253B74.jpeg
8E7C1A7F-1BFF-491F-8B03-19894E3D1D7A.jpeg
7AFA44BD-D194-467D-AFB4-7D791D8D7DB9.jpeg

41 - 51 of 51 Posts