PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. About 6 weeks ago I noticed a small crack in the black plastic under the driver's rear cage upright. I found it but have neglected to do anything to fix it yet. I had been planning on fixing the problem so today I went out to re-evaluate the situation and this is what I found. The first pic is more to give you reference of the location and the next pic shows the actual split as it is today.

It is about a 3/16" longer longer than it was 5 or 6 weeks ago. I plan on drilling it out at the point today and then possible applying some type of glue. Should I use an epoxy or should just drilling it out be ok? I will post pics once I'm done drilling it out.

· Registered
2,935 Posts
K.C. , splitting plastic has long been an issue with Ranger owners and at least for me it's inevitable so on certain areas like floorboards and the seat skirt I'm going to make diamond plate covers and have them Line-X'd Also i believe they can apply that polyurethane directly to the plastic but it has to have a surface to adhere to so it must be deeply etched or an overlay of lath riveted to it to keep it from seperating during flexing. Just an idea :idea:

· Registered
460 Posts
KC, My Ranger did the same exact thing and I just left it and forgot about it. My fathers crew got worse than my XP did and has completely become dislodged from the area that screws to the frame. I will fix it some day when it bothers me, but for peace of mind my dealer sent me new pieces under warranty and I will install them when my original parts are destroyed! LOL!!!!

· Administrator
6,854 Posts
Mine has done the same thing, My thought on this is there needs to be a brace that runs from the square tubing on the bottom (behind the panel) to where the rear part of the rollcage is connected(driver side). If I remember correctly the floorboard supports are narrower on the drivers side than the Passenger side. I have the Polaris Extreme Nerf Bars on mine, I believe the flexing when I step on the nerf bars has caused mine to crack.

· Registered
1,659 Posts
Check your local body shops to see if any of them can weld plastic parts or know of someone in your area that can.

Click

· Registered
1,778 Posts
We've got a local welding shop that started doing plastic welding to repair cracks in atv fenders. The welds seem to hold up good, but they are noticeable repairs. I haven't checked first hand, but I've been told the repairs here cost $30 to $40. A new panel is $75 to $80. IMO I'd drill a small hole at the very end of the crack and run it as is. Later on, if it starts running again and gets unbearable, I'd buy a new panel and start again. :lol:

· Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone. About 6 weeks ago I noticed a small crack in the black plastic under the driver's rear cage upright. I found it but have neglected to do anything to fix it yet. I had been planning on fixing the problem so today I went out to re-evaluate the situation and this is what I found. The first pic is more to give you reference of the location and the next pic shows the actual split as it is today.

It is about a 3/16" longer longer than it was 5 or 6 weeks ago. I plan on drilling it out at the point today and then possible applying some type of glue. Should I use an epoxy or should just drilling it out be ok? I will post pics once I'm done drilling it out.
I bought a plastic weld kit on Amazon for less than $40 CAD
For roof repair on my Polaris Ranger

· Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
4,156 Posts
I've had good luck repairing plastic with a plastic stapler welder which provides a very strong connection between the broken pieces and the use of either a plastic welder with filler rod or JB Weld's plastic weld used to bond the parts and fill them.

In a pinch stainless steel or aluminum screen wire like that used in window screens can be used with a soldering gun with a special tip to reinforce the cracked area prior to welding.

Reactions: Jungleman
1 - 10 of 10 Posts