PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

Bought a new TPS and put it on the Throttle Body.. Couldn't get the adjustment right.

So I took it to a Yamaha dealer (3 miles away) who said he could adjust it. He failed miserably. It barely runs.

My next step is to take it to the actual Polaris Dealer (45 miles away) and have him adjust it. I'm fairly sure he adjusted both screws trying to get it right.

The Ranger dealer said I'd have to buy a new one if he touched the screw, but to bring it down and "we'll have a look". I reminded him they sell tools specifically for that screw that "shouldn't be adjusted".

If I have to buy a new throttle body for my 2007 Ranger 700, will it come pre-tuned? Just swap it out?

Or would I have to adjust it once it's on?

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
jazz.............OEM TPS $200.00 or.........................$15.00 knock off TPS bought on Amazon or Ebay ? If it is not OEM, that is your problem. If it is OEM, you will need to use alternate base and flow settings. You do NOT need to buy a new throttle body and taking it to a Polaris Stealer will only lighten the load in your wallet and not get you to........WOT.......

Reactions: Rangerwhit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheapo.

I think I just found my problem then.. For $283, I can buy a whole new throttle body W/ a TPS- which would be better? And do they come tuned to .710 you think?

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Cheapo.

I think I just found my problem then.. For $283, I can buy a whole new throttle body W/ a TPS- which would be better? And do they come tuned to .710 you think?
No need to buy a new throttle body as on a 2007 700, you need to ZERO OUT the voltage anyway.. I can talk you thru it and you can save a lot of bucks. LMN........

Reactions: Rangerwhit

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No need to buy a new throttle body as on a 2007 700, you need to ZERO OUT the voltage anyway.. I can talk you thru it and you can save a lot of bucks. LMN........
I'll get a quality one and go from there. Thanks- I might hit you up on that.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes that come pre set from the factory and you just have to install. I have worked at a few different Polaris dealerships and there is still no way to adjust it back correctly after that screw has been messed up. I've even personally tried myself and failed. Even had the unit hooked up to Polaris digital wrench and used Polaris TPS tool

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
Zack, the problem with pre set TB's starts in 2009. The earlier ones (2007) can be EASILY set up from scratch.. Honest........I wouldn't tell a fib to a Po dealer...:)

Reactions: GunnerRoo

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
take the throttle off and clean. Adjust butterfly to just barely cracked open (yall seen an idle angle before yeah), backprobe to adjust TPS to .39 volts key on, green wire. The manual is poorly written and I see people parroting the .71 volts. (that's with their retarded 9V reference) Also the wiring diagrams are drawn wrong with the sensor ground (violet) on the wiper contact. The wiper is the green wire. Easy like peas and carrots.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
take the throttle off and clean. Adjust butterfly to just barely cracked open (yall seen an idle angle before yeah), backprobe to adjust TPS to .39 volts key on, green wire. The manual is poorly written and I see people parroting the .71 volts. (that's with their retarded 9V reference) Also the wiring diagrams are drawn wrong with the sensor ground (violet) on the wiper contact. The wiper is the green wire. Easy like peas and carrots.
That is an interesting bunch of blather there Matthew. You shouldn't be wasting your internet time (or ours) while they have you locked down at rehab.

Reactions: BPS

·
Registered
4 Posts
?so true....

What a garbage, almost totally useless post(mine). Here's the way it happened for me:
I purchased a 2006 Polaris Ranger 700 6X6 from the university for next to nothing. It had been forestry service before that. The fine Techs in those places saw fit to splice the wires several times to the TPS and TBap sensor. The thing would only barely run at full throttle. They had the tps mis-wired like the manual shows it. When I glanced at the service manual I saw the adjustment procedure for the TPS involved using the polaris adapter that was powered by a 9V battery to set the TPS. So at one point I made an assumption that the .71 and .528 volts were attained with a 9V reference. I did the math .71/9= X/5 and came up with the .39 volts. I set mine to .39 and voila it idled. Well I must be a genius. No more code 22 either. Turns out the TPS was fried so I got another one, and corrected the wiring on the ranger side of the TPS. The cheap TPS that I ordered has a green, black, and yellow wire. If you check the TPS removed with the meter the yellow wire to black or green (one goes up the other down) is the one that changes while the resistance between the green and black is fixed somewhere north of 5Kohms. I think my major issue was the fuel pressure was about 14psi and I had a bad fuel pump. So after making that repair, getting a new TPS installed, setting it to .528 with a closed clean butterfly, I then adjusted to .71 for idle setting. And the machine is running pretty decent. I set the TPS with it still plugged to the machine,(yellow wireTPS side, green wire machine side) I haven't tried pulling the yellow wire out of circuit to check the voltage, the way the factory tool does it. Or I could build their little device with a Battery and a voltage regulator.
Sorry for the previous post.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
No worries matthew, we have all overdosed at one time or another.o_O

·
Registered
1 Posts
Matthew,
I am having the same issues you were. I have a 2007 700 and I spliced into the yellow wire and used the voltage from the machine to set the TPS to .528 and .71. I could not get it to run very well. I used your math and set it to .293 and .394. It idles like a dream, best ever, but if you touch the throttle it dies, unless you punch it. Can you walk through how you set yours up? Thanks
Brice

1 - 20 of 21 Posts