PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there anything I need to be careful about? I posted this in the General section with no luck. Figured I'd try here. I have an electronic copy of the service manual, but I didn't see it in there.

I have the new throttle cable, I'm just waiting to put it in, hoping I can get some guidance. Thanks!!

·
6,994 Posts
Can anyone shed some light on this? Is there anything I need to be careful about? I posted this in the General section with no luck. Figured I'd try here. I have an electronic copy of the service manual, but I didn't see it in there.

I have the new throttle cable, I'm just waiting to put it in, hoping I can get some guidance. Thanks!!
Don't lose the little brass barrel keeper thingy at the beginning of the cable inside the throttle body. You need to dang near buy a new machine to get another one.........

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
Don't lose the little brass barrel keeper thingy at the beginning of the cable inside the throttle body. You need to dang near buy a new machine to get another one.........
Ditto. I dropped mine in tall grass and looked for it for 2 days. I thought I'd just buy another one.....after all, how much can a 1/4" piece of brass cost, right? Wrong! You have to buy the entire throttle body.

There's not much to it. Remove the floor panel so you can fish the new cable. You might (not sure about a '12 model) have to cut a few zip ties to remove the old one. Tie the pedal end of the new cable to the throttle body end of the old cable to fish the new one through. Connect at each end and adjust the cable so that there is 1/8" of slack.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!
I may finally give this a shot this week, since I'm back on day shift.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Good advice from these guys.!

I might add that when I did a throttle cable on my 2012, the new cable came with the bracket (shaped like a V) that bolts up to the firewall. The problem was the bolts that hold it to the firewall must be axcessed from the cab side and I couldn't see them... it appeared that they were behind the floor board. I took my dremel tool and cut a small hole where the bolt heads were. It was easy to locate them by taking the new bracket and bringing it around inside the cab, pushing it up against the firewall with the old throttle cable in the center and make a couple marks.

The other option is to remove the new throttle cable from the new bracket and install it on the old bracket once the old one is removed. I've done it both ways, and found the first option to be easiest. trying to fish that cable and snap it into that bracket it tough... maybe it's just because I've got big hands, I don't know.lol.

also, I might mention that since I started lubing the throttle cables with chain/cable lube (the non tacky stuff) and cable luber system I've never had a throttle cable break since. and this is with thousands of hours on them.... It's worth doing every few hundred hours.

Good luck with it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts