PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!!!
I just purchased a 2019 Ranger and I plan on attaching a light bar to the roof. In the past on my ATV's, Rangers and RZR's I usually just purchased a cheaper light bar off Amazon like Nigilight brand and such, they always worked pretty well and held up better than I had expected for the price but I have had sections of LED's in them fail and water build up behind the lense. For this new Ranger I was thinking about getting something better, right now I'm looking at Rigid bars in particular the Rigid E-Series Pro 40" spot driving combo or the Rigid SR-Series 32" bar right from Polaris since I buy parts at dealer cost. I'm just having a hard time convincing myself to spend that much money on a light bar, are they really that much better? I want a bar that is extremely bright and tough since OEM headlights are not amazing and where I drive I want great visibility. This vehicle will be used a lot in harsh conditions and on rough trails through my hunting properties. If anyone on here has had experience with Rigid light bars or other high quality bars I would greatly appreciate your input!

Reactions: Dreder622

·
Registered
204 Posts
Interested to hear what people have to say. I have not bought any high end led fixtures, the cheaper ones I have used in many applications have all been plenty bright for me, and I have only had two units go bad due to moisture. I don’t buy the absolute cheapest lights I can find.... but I just can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money on he higher end stuff.

Reactions: Stroke250

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I’ve only bought cheaper ones but my buddy and brother have rigid on theirs and man it’s night and day difference. You’d have to put 20 cheap bars together to make one rigid. I can’t tell you it’s worth the money but I can tell you there is a huge difference in light out put between the cheap and expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
You won’t ever notice how little the cheap lights put out until you ride with someone with a rigid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
117 Posts
Maybe so but doubt it. This light is brighter then bright. Don't think I could have it on if there was any on coming traffic because they would surely be blinded.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I have a Ranger 900 with auxiliary lighting from Baja Designs: two Squadron XL80 pods on the a-pillars and two S2 Sport pods in the rear. Granted, I paid a lot more for name brand lights, but it is worth it to me.

I originally had a nice Totron 50” curved lightbar in front. It was a better quality Chinese light that I paid about $300 for in 2014 and made with quality Osram 3 watt emitters. The Baja Designs XL80 pods blow away the 50” lightbar, however. The Baja Designs lights have four 20 watt Cree emitters per cube. The light color is even better on the Baja Designs lights at 5,00K vs 6,500K on the Totron and other Chinese lights.

I understand that you specifically asked about Rigid brand lightbars, but I am one who now believes in buying a good, name brand light if you can afford it. There’s nothing wrong with the off-brand Chinese lights. Quality lighting from Rigid or Baja Designs is better, though. It’s just up to you to determine if the increase in price is worth it to you.

I’ve posted this picture before, but here it is again. It’s my two Baja Designs Squadron XL80 lights at night. 7EEDD0B3-320C-424B-91F0-4EB5F06C72AD.jpeg

4D0BA78E-A261-41A1-86F9-55B8600063B2.jpeg

·
Registered
103 Posts
I've had very good luck with Black Oak LED. I've run them on a bunch of builds and haven't had any complaints on quality or longevity. They are a high end light so they are not cheap but run less than Rigids, and when you order them with the 5 watt chips, they will outdo the Rigid's in brightness size for size. To each their own of course... :)

·
Banned
389 Posts
I've owned quite a few light bars. There are 3 things I have noted about Ridgid that compete favorably with the others (except perhaps Baja Design, which I have't had the pleasure to own... YET).
They are:
1) Build quality
2) The color temperature of the light (usually defined with K or Kelvin) and now often referred to as CCT for Correlated Color Temperature. Read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
3) Warranty and support

I have sorted these with most valuable to me on top.
For #1, you can fairly instantly with a direct A/B comparison see and feel the quality different with Ridgid products. I am obsessive about this and probably notice detail that most wouldn't. And I appreciate it more than most do. I know, that is weird in 2019 where we reward disposable, cheap products. I am old school I guess.
For #2, it is technically more difficult and is more expensive to manufacture LEDs that emit roughly equal energy across the visible spectrum (referred to as CRI. Read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_rendering_index ) and at around 4500 to 5000 Kelvin. I find that anything over 5000K starts becoming harsh and tiring and doesn't depict the space I am in well. 6000K is obviously blue, even without direct comparison, but is the tested measurement of most budget "white" LEDs.
For #3, I have experienced the Ridgid customer support system twice. Once, even after admitting that my light bar was damaged because of my abuse, it was fixed for free... and quickly. And another time to inquire about parts, with a bonus technical question. It was an efficient and effective single contact support experience.

Despite all that, one of my favorite bars is a 50" curved single row I got years ago from roughcountry.com. This one: https://www.roughcountry.com/50-inch-curved-led-light-bar-72750.html
It's worth every friggen cent of $280
It's blue'ish, it's flood'ish as heck, and comes with crappy hardware, but it has awe power and looks killer on my machine.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I got a cheap one like u mentioned and thus far am happy with it. For as little as I use it I can not justify any higher priced model. And if it breaks, well I can just buy another. I could go through probably 20 of them and still spend less then a ridged.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
i would never spend that kind of money on one thieves love them so get it insured my cheap forty inches shines way farther than i can see clearly but I'm old lol T&S

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have china 20" ones on my tractor and mounted between my plow lights on my snow plow. $25. bucks each maybe and my tractor one I put on new in 2013. Still works great.
I don't have light bars on my ranger as I don't use it at night because the bears would get me.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I guess it depends on your expected use and dependence on the light bar. I couldn't see paying that money personally.

I got a cheap 14 inch light from autozone and have to say it is surprisingly bright. I use occasionally at night and my unit stays parked inside when not in use.

As example...i have cube lights on the corners at 45 angles....when turning on the bar I can't tell the corners or headlights are even on so I shut them all down.

If you will be riding in middle of nowhere on dangerous trails with dropoffs during the night...then maybe the big dollars for more durable lights may be worth it

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have the Polaris brand "Pro Armor". It's a 30" dual row led bar on my roof. Very bright. And pricey. $499,99. I have nothing to compare it with, so have no clue if just could have saved $400 and bought a china product. Anyone who knows the quality of Pro Armors led bars?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
This is a GREAT thread! The engineering level and awareness of what goes into a good light bar is something I wish everyone could read. Our lead engineer, Scott Heupel, is an electrical engineer by background and has his name on a patent in the automotive industry. When we developed our SIRIUS PRO light bars we patterned them after RIGID because of our respect for them and for what is required in a good, long-term, stable light bar.

All light bars may have the same lumen output level......so why not buy the $40 one instead of the Rigid one? Well the main reasons have to do with the overall quality of the LED chips used -- and there is a HUGE difference. Cheap lightbars can advertise that lumen level, but it only happens in perfect weather conditions and is only that quality for a short period of time before it degrades.

Light bars like RIGID use high quality chips that maintain stability for a very long time, can give max output in all conditions, and include breathers to disperse heat -- which is critical.

Along those lines, Scott helped developed our SIRIUS PRO line with the idea that it would perform like RIGID but at a much lower cost to you because we are going straight to you with the product instead of through multiple steps of distribution. We've seen a significant increase in popularity as this message gets out. If you want to check out the range, you can head to our site here: https://www.motoalliance.com/all-products/sirius-led-lights

And we have discounts for PRC members so you can shoot me a PM if interested.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts