PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 ranger 570-4 I recently put on a 2.5 inch lift. What rim and tire size would look good? Anyone have any pics???

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
What looks good is very subjective. What looks good to you is what really matters. When considering tires/wheels, IMHO what looks good isn't as important as what WORKS well, and that too is subjective, depending upon your use and needs. Rock crawlers might want to stay with 12" wheels so they have taller tire sidewalls with more flex. Hard track racers might want large wheels with short sidewalls on tires for better handling. Heavy tires and wheels affect performance, lighter tires may puncture more easily. Larger diameter tires may provide higher top speed, IF you have the horsepower to turn them fast enough.
So, your question isn't an easy one to answer. You need to consider what is most important to you, looks or performance, the type of use will your machine get, the fact that your engine has about 44 HP which is adequate but not a huge amount to be spinning large diameter tires that are heavy. Also consider that larger diameter tires, say over 27" or so, will require the use of low range more often and increase the chance of burning belts because increasing tire diameter raises effective final drive ratio. Your 4 seater is heavier than my 570 Full Size when loaded with passengers and perhaps a bed full of cargo which further complicates the problem of horsepower/gear range selection.
Some problems can be overcome with clutch tuning or replacement with a Duraclutch, but final drive ratio will still be higher with large diameter tires. You might be able to get a tune for your ECM and gain maybe 5 extra HP, but whether that will be enough to compensate for 32" tires is questionable. Running large diameter tires on flat hard pack is way different in HP requirements than running them in deep mud, sugar sand or up steep grades.
As an example, my 2015 Ranger 570 full size (XP) has been equipped with glass windshield, poly doors, poly roof, glass back window, UMHW skid plate, all adding weight to the machine, but necessary for my use. My use is 99% utility, hauling firewood, tools, transportation to neighbors and to get the mail, groomed fire roads and paved driveway all at speeds under 20 MPH on steep grades. I added a Duraclutch because it is far better suited than the OEM clutch for my use and I can use high range far more often. I kept the OEM steel wheels becasue being able to change tires myself manually is far more important than appearance, and 12" wheels provide a smoother ride. I went with 26" tires which are only slightly larger than stock even though I have a 2" lift and arched "A" arms with 1 1/2" forward placement of the front axle. I have plenty of clearance for larger tires and wheels but chose to only go one size bigger due to the steep ground I travel on, the loads I move and the desire to use high range for longer runs on paved driveways to my mailbox.The lift was installed for ground clearance on the fire roads and the "A" arms in order to get adjustable camber becasue my tires were wearing severely on the outside with the OEM arms.
There is a lot to consider to get a tire wheel combination that fits your needs and performs well. Do your homework before plunking down your $$$. Remember, just because you "can" doesn't always mean you "should".

·
Registered
381 Posts
My son runs 27s on his ranger 570 and does not seem to affect power at all, MSA rims 14in 4+3, he runs the mudlites tires which I would not recommend, work great till they get a little wear then ride like crap

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts