PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Jesus bro, you're making the rest of us look bad. I just installed a Blue Sea fuse block. Now I have to put all the relays together! Sheesh! Very nicely done.:excitement::encouragement:
That is what I had before. Those damn relays kept getting me mad. Some were corroded, and there was a huge mess of wire STILL after I did the blue sea box. On this style vehicle, off road or sport leisure, where we are exposed to the elements CONSTANTLY. I really worried about it. One of my trips, I got mud all in the engine bay, some water too. Opened the hood, and saw there was mud all in the blue sea box. I mean caked in there. didn't know if there would be a short or what. SO, I disconnected it and pulled the pressure washer out to clean her out.

These were made for marine use, yes. BUT not in an open environment. They were made to be in the bowels of the vessel, or in the cabin of it. Where there is NO exposure to the elements. Our engine bays were not the intended use for this product.

Over the years, I have only seen 1 install of the blue sea box in person where they made a proper enclosure for it that was waterproof. Only a handful of sealed enclosures made for them on the internet too! Mostly, believe it or not, on import cars. Lowered vehicles and similar.

If we look at our fuse blocks in our personal vehicles that are under the hoods. They are protected by a cover that has some sort of water resistance. Now look at the Blue Sea box. Completely OPEN design. Scary really, if you really stand back and think about the investment.

I was not going to put a $60 blue sea block up against my $40k vehicle plus $20k in upgrades anymore. Saw a buddies truck burn up from an electrical issue.... Wasn't pretty. Having 4 children, my wife and myself in the vehicle. Yeah, I needed to do something.

Started making an enclosure, Nah, not happy. Still the damn relays. Put them in there too!? Damn, they were BIG and took up so much additional space. Plus half of the 8 relays I had were corroded already. Thats another out of pocket expense.

Went to a meet, considered the SPOD. Coincidentally, there was a guy with one (6 relays), there was me with the blue sea fiasco, then there was another guy. He said have I heard of the RTMR. WHAT? what are these acronyms he is tossing at me. He pointed to it and popped the sealed top. WTF!!!!!!!! I knew that had to be the solution for me. But, wait, there were only 5 relays. I would need 2 of them. Chuckles, NOPE, they make a 10! with 40 fuse slots! - Sold.

Moved some monies around and did what needed to be done. Before I even finished, i had 13 people asking me to make them the same when I was done with mine via PM. No stress, I'm an electronics guy. Come from a strobe background in electronics, micro miniature soldering and repair. These were a cake walk. The pain in the ass is the the crimping and the harnesses I make.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yeah - I thought about daisy-chaining the grounds then terminating them into a heavy duty quick-disconnect of some sort but I decided against it in favor of maintaining easy future reconfigurations of the RTMR. Glad to hear there is a 15303 model that has a ground lug! RF interference can be a real issue with these machines, especially with VHF/UHF two way radios. Couple of other things I did were to color code the looms on both the tower and shroud ends of each circuit (and the triggers wires for the relays) with different colors of shrink to make it easier to identify the circuits, especially when out on the trails. I also coated both the inside and outside of the cable seals and the outside if the cavity plugs with dielectric grease during assembly - probably a bit anal, but I just happen to have a large tube of the stuff anyway! For added protection against heat (big problem with these machines), I used only TXL and GXL wire.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nice. There are definitely many ways to skin a catfish! The plugs I use are nice and oily so I opted to not do the grease. If someone asked me to do that sort of thing for them, I wouldn't hesitate though.

I can see where these get submersed that every extra little precaution pays off.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I had almost forgot about this! A mind is a terrible thing to waste!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts