PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently installed a new belt on my 2006 xp. Now after installing the belt it's a lot hard to shift into gear where it never was. Did I do something wrong or is this normal? I'm afraid to get too horsey with it for fear of bending/breaking something. And I've been a member of this site for several years as caprocker but for some reason had to register again. I'm way up in the Rockies right now on day 2 of a 14 day trip and want to enjoy it... Thanks fellas

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Cap, sounds like an aftermarket belt that is a bit off in size. Although it sucks paying for a genuine Po belt, they are most likely to work properly right out of the package.. Shut off the engine before shifting and pray that it may 'break in' in a few.........

Reactions: GunnerRoo

·
Registered
2015 Polaris ranger 570 XP
3,767 Posts
You didn't mention the reason for replacing the belt, but if the original belt frayed or came apart you might want to check the clutches for debris and clean any you find. Debris of any kind, from the belt, rust, corrosion or just plain dirt can keep clutch components from moving smoothly or returning to their original "at rest" position which could prevent the belt from disengaging completely and cause shifting problems.
As Kris states, the bely may not be properly sized as well. Be certain you got the right size belt, clean the clutch components (take it apart if necessary) and insure everything moves freely as it is supposed to.

Reactions: GunnerRoo

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went for an OEM belt from the Polaris store if I remember correctly. The reason I changed it was because it had become irresponsive when I would take off. I had read that a new belt would improve that and it has. The new belt has helped on take off but I guess it's going to need some break in time for shifting. I'll keep running it and if it still sucks I'll put the old one back on. It had some frays etc and was pretty loose.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Cap, I was having the same problem with my 2007 XP with a new EPI belt. It didn't do it right off but was slowing getting worse where I finally noticed that I could shift really easy with the engine off and was difficult with the engine running. With Kris's help, when I replaced the EPI belt (with another EPI as I had bought 2) I really cleaned the clutch assembly with compressed air and wiped everything down and been running now for about 6 months with absolutely no issues. I was surprised how much dust came off the clutch assembly. I had not cleaned it the previous time other than removing any pieces of the disintegrated belt as I was on the other side of middle of nowhere..... Hope this helps!

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I didn't clean the clutch assembly at all when I replaced the belt. May be something to look into when I get back to my shop. Thanks a bunch for the input fellas. I knew I could get some help here.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same problem, the non OEM replacement belt must be a fraction shorter and sits too tight on the drive shaft with clutch open and squeaks and hard to change gear. Engine off gear change ok on flat ground but on a slope the pressure remains on the gearbox and just have to jam it through, eventually something will break.

·
Administrator
7,328 Posts
Same problem, the non OEM replacement belt must be a fraction shorter and sits too tight on the drive shaft with clutch open and squeaks and hard to change gear. Engine off gear change ok on flat ground but on a slope the pressure remains on the gearbox and just have to jam it through, eventually something will break.
rose, that is the problem ..... If it is to small, it will engage the driven clutch and no more shifting with the engine on... Aso make sure your idle is 1200 rpm or below or that to will engage the secondary and no more engine on shifting..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts