PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ranger is running real rough at low rpm's get the rpm's up it run's fine it never dies and it idles fine. But when you take of it is real jerky like its starving for fuel. New sprk plugs, air filter, fuel injector cleaner in still runs like crap. ran the codes and nothing 61 is the only one it shows. Pulled the fuel pump and the bottom of the tank was clean and the fuel filter looked clean also. i do need to check fuel pressure. I really dont know where to go from here? the machine has about 640 hrs and a battery and some bearings have been the only issue. we work it we dont baby it. 2006 700 xp 4x4.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Jbird232 said:
My ranger is running real rough at low rpm's get the rpm's up it run's fine it never dies and it idles fine. But when you take off it is real jerky like its starving for fuel. New sprk plugs, air filter, fuel injector cleaner in still runs like crap. ran the codes and nothing 61 is the only one it shows. Pulled the fuel pump and the bottom of the tank was clean and the fuel filter looked clean also. I do need to check fuel pressure. I really dont know where to go from here? the machine has about 640 hrs and a battery and some bearings have been the only issue. we work it we dont baby it. 2006 700 xp 4x4.
J, when's the last time you had a look at the belt?
FYI - fuel pump pressure should be 39 psi.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
new belt

put the new belt on it helped a little but not much. we where hauling a calf in the other day had my wife in the back holding it down and i was trying to go slow back to the barn i thought i was going to throw them both out. it was actually quite funny watching her trying to hold the calf down while it was jerking so bad. but as usual i got an ear full for laughing. but it was worth it.

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
Im not there to see it but what you described sounds like a bad belt.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fuel pump

Had my fuel pump tested it would start out at 39 pds but when reved up fell off to 20 pds. so hweading to napa to get a replacement pump. hopefully this is the issue.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fuel pump apart

ok i got my fuel pump apart when i took the pump off of the black piece right abovr the pump. Dark brown murky gas just poured out. is there any way to take that apart to clean it or replace it. it looks alot like rusty gas took my tank out and cleaned it but it wasn't that dirty. any thoughts would be appreciated. happy thanksgiving to all have a great day and be safe.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
J, in a previous post you state: 'Had my fuel pump tested, it would start out at 39 pds but when reved up fell off to 20 pds'. Not good - a sure sign of a bad pump. Also, once these pumps ingest any form of contaminate (dirt-sand etc.) it's just a matter of time before failure set's in. Make sure that the tank - vent hose and fuel line are all good and clean and replace that pump:
06 & 07 XP fuel pump: airtex part # e2446
06 & 07 XP fuel pump: Car Quest part # 69542
06 & 07 XP fuel pump: Napa Bosch part #N69128

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
The dirty fuel coming out of it was being trapped by the pressure regulator. I'd get as much out as you can and install the new pump. I don't think there is any way to disassemble the regulator, but luckily haven't had to attempt that, so I don't know for sure. Hopefully a new pump will solve it. Actually, that trash in the regulator may be the whole problem.....you might try putting it back together with the factory pump and test the pressure again.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
fuel pump

when i run fuel backwards throught the system (with the fuel pump off) it runs real dirty so i will try and clean the regulator out real good and see what i have. thanks for the help.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
problem fixed

cleaned the regulator as good as i could put the old pump back on, no good bad pump. put the new pump on runs like a champ. Thanks for all the help i really appreciate. hopefully it will be a while before i need help again.

·
Premium Member
7,748 Posts
Re: problem fixed

Jbird232 said:
Cleaned the regulator as good as I could, put the old pump back on, no good - bad pump. Put the new pump on, runs like a champ. Thanks for all the help I really appreciate. Hopefully it will be a while before I need help again.
Good news J. :D :wink: ... Remember one thing bud - we're ALL here to help each other out when and if needed.

·
Registered
575 Posts
This sounds awfully a lot like my problem.. idles fine and runs great at the top half of the throttle, but the lower half of throttle it spits and sputters and sometimes backfires. I guess I'll replace the pump and see! thanks..

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Greg, it would be in your best interest to check fuel pressure before you change the pump.

if it bad on the slow or part throttle but runs good at the top end, that DOESN'T sound like a fuel pump problem to me. the more gas you give it the WORSE the problem should get if the fuel pump is low on PSI.

your problem sounds more like a bad TPS or maybe a broken T-bap wire.

I'm leaning more toward bad tps myself.

if you have a multimeter you can check it to see if there's any dead spots.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
fuel pump

the fuel pump fixed my problems runs good again after running with the new pump on. it wasn't running as good as i thought it was at top speeds.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Adam, after you replace the tps sensor, do you have to reset the engine idle? Or can you just replace the sensor and the idle settings remain unchanged?? I have to get me a multimeter, any particular kind is better than others?? thanks

·
Registered
575 Posts
After reading other posts, I believe that I am going to invest in a fuel pressure gauge.. I think I have a bad pump, will let y'all know what I find out.. thanks

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.