PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help I have a 2009 rzr170 has a charging issue and doesn't run well. Cleaned carb checked fuel pump. Replaced regulator old one melted on back not sure why still won't charge. Installed new regulator and when I have it bolted on frame where it goes it just pops fuses soon I put them in so I unbolted it and it doesn't pop fuses. Check readings on stator they were off so I replaced. Still doesn't charge it starts and pops and sputters with bolt meter juice on battery slowly counts down from 12.5 volts any help

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Welcome to PRC! Not a lot of 170s on here but maybe we'll get lucky. First question, have you added ANYTHING electrical to the buggy? I ask because the 170 has an extremely small stator, 80 watts (6.7 amps) I think, so anything other than something with a really small draw (1 or 2 amps) will kill the charging system. Have you replaced the battery and if so, was it with a similar (amp Hour) battery? Have you checked/replaced the Ignition Coil? Also, some guys have reported issues with the ignition switch. Sounds like you may a direct short somewhere in the system. Jefflac02 is pretty savvy on 170s, maybe he will see this and chime in. Meanwhile, you might want to check this section on the RZR Forums to see if anyone has had a similar issue: RZR 170 Specific Disccusion - Polaris RZR Forum - RZR Forums.net , and having a service manual (if you don't already have one) will help: 2009 Polaris RZR 170 ATV Complete Service Repair Manual Polaris;manual;download;2009 . Here is a parts break-down of the electrical -- may give you ideas of what else to check;
170 RZR.JPG

·
Registered
386 Posts
How is the regulator attached to the vehicle? If it's not attached to the frame it is probably not grounded and will not work properly. Most likely the reason it's popping a fuse is because somewhere in the charging system there is a short. You need to find and fix the short before doing anything else. Reattach the regulator and continue troubleshooting if necessary.

Mike

·
Registered
386 Posts
OK, I'm missing something. You say the regulator is bolted to the frame and as soon as you start the engine it pops "the" fuse - which fuse?
You say the "no lights the lights even burn out as well" - Do you mean all the lights on the vehicle have burned out? Head lights, brake lights, tail lights, what else?
If your battery voltage does not get above 12.5 volts you shouldn't burn out any lights at all.

To answer your question, Yes I think you have a wire that is shorted to the frame. It could be broken with exposed copper or one with the insulation worn away that is touching the frame somewhere. Really need to know which fuse is blowing and how the machine behaved when the regulator was not bolted to the frame.

I'm concentrating more on getting the machine to run without blowing a fuse - solve one problem at a time. If we do that then concentrate on any remaining problem(s) one at a time.

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts