PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been debating as to whether or not the shocks on my 800 crew are due for replacement. It's not apples to apples but driving my dad's 900 at his place is smooth as can be. Cattle travel up and down the roads here where I am and when you drive over their tracks it beats the machine to hell. However, I don't have a polaris to compare it to here where I am, and I'm not sure how to tell a shock is due for replacement. Machine has 470 hours and roughly 3500 miles. I due notice it bottom out on the shocks at least that's what it feels like fairly often when hitting a bump in the road or I go through a little creek or whatever. I had it pre-loaded all the way and it still felt like it would bottom out. I backed the pre-load all the way off to smooth it up but it still doesn't seem much different. Any tips on how to tell if a shock is wore out?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
DC, if you are bottoming out, they are done. I am on the third set on the rear at 1300 hours and the second set of struts &springs on the front. I don't carry heavy loads and I don't play BAJA 1000 with it either.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, that's what i figured I would hear back. When I replace them do I need to replace the whole kit or can I reuse the spring?

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
Dc..............replace the springs or you won't be happy...

Reactions: gmck154x4

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, looks like I've found some that come with the spring already on, that oughta save me from taking a coil to the face

·
Registered
125 Posts
Are you guys using Polaris springs and shocks or have you found a better aftermarket solution?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found some Bronco's that are essentially OEM. Can't justify $1,000 dollars a shock like some people are suggesting on other threads

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
What did the Broncos run?

Stage 1 Elkas are around 1250 and rebuildable. They will set them up to your weight and intended use. Not just an off the shelf one size fits all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think they're maybe 400 total for all 4. I drove this Ranger about 10 weekends out of the year at the hunting camp, just need it to ride

·
Registered
5,977 Posts
I replaced the front strut cartridges and springs with BRONCO . The ride is good but it is to soon to tell on the longevity. $ about $225.00 for both sides (EBAY). The rears I have always used OEM . Big money and not that good but the environment here with the salt and humidity is the worst you can have for something that rides low to the ground.

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
It'd be nice to have a spec sheet from Polaris on all the different springs, I just put brutis springs on my 16/900 with good results, went from 225# to 350# but had to make a 1.7in spacer because of height difference. Looked at some off a XD pro with about the same height but thought the 500# might be a bit much. Polaris did give me specs on the springs but had to ask on specific part numbers and not what I was doing.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I hope I can't tell when mine wear out. I'm not putting thousands into shocks for a freaking Ranger. I've always wanted a cool name for mine but I think I'll just name it "The Hole".

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I hope I can't tell when mine wear out. I'm not putting thousands into shocks for a freaking Ranger. I've always wanted a cool name for mine but I think I'll just name it "The Hole".
Lol! Good name!

In all reality, the accessories we put on these things. Doors,windows , winches, snowplows, tires and rims and other various doo dads for convenience and comfort. Add up to half the price of the unit.

So for 1500, the stage 2 Elkas I put on my machine were not any different than doors and tires. Stock shocks and springs were pretty much spent. I get what your saying. I said the same thing 2 machines ago. The stockers just dont last long.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts