PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a little carried away this weekend due to the Liquid Courage I was consuming. I climbed a hill and when the front end topped the hill it slammed down and its popping now. The axles all seem tight and nothing looks out of place. I jacked it up and it seems like it may be in the transfer case. Any recommendations on where to start? BTW its a 2014 ranger crew 900. Thanks

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Be a little more descriptive about the noise and where it is coming form. These things do not have a transfer case, rather a transmission. The front drive-shaft is powered all the time. Is the noise only when you are in AWD or in 2WD also?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is making the noise in all drive modes. I jacked the front end up and spun the tires and it seems like its only making the noise when I spin the driver side. The U joints in the drive shaft seem fine, just not really sure where to look next.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
It's a long shot but maybe messed up a wheel bearing? If it's only driver side I'd say it's gotta be bearing or axle

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am no expert at these things, but I remember seeing this video a while back. The guy did a similar thing to what you are describing. The guy in the video broke the plastic sprague carrier when he slammed the front end down while under load. I am not at all saying this is what happened to yours and I encourage full diagnosis of the front and and the parts mentioned by other members, but this would probably be a worst case scenario. If you have been over the entire front end and you cant find anything, you may try and drain your front diff fluid and see if there is any debris in there. I would imagine for this to have happened you would have had to have been in 4x4 mode for this damage to possibly have happened. I don't know enough about the Hilliard system to know if it would make the noises in all drive modes or why one side would click more than the other. Please keep the group posted once you have diagnosed the issue.

·
Registered
22,344 Posts
Could be the cage, but could be a wheel bearing. If it only makes noise when spinning the driver front wheel, I'd lean toward a wheel bearing. And since that is MUCH cheaper and easier to repair, I'd replace that first if it were mine.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Agree with those suggesting the wheel bearing. Start There.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.