PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok guys, I have searched and searched and have been unable to find what I'm looking for. We finally got to take the ranger ('14 570 midsize) out for some trail riding the other day. Where we ride is pretty gnarly, lots of rocks and washout that puts alot strain on the bike. You are teetering on 2 or 3 wheels nearly as much as you are on all 4. So while riding it got me to thinking......How the h€!! Will I get out of here if we break an axle???? Here's my question.....can I simply remove the axle and drive out or does the hub require the axle to keep things together. If the latter, what would be the easy fix on the trail?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Unless you have lifted it I will be very hard to break an axle unless you are on the juice and hammering on it something fierce. Never go in reverse with the wheels turned hard either. If you get in a bind then stop and use your winch before getting on the stupid pedal too hard. If you do break an axle it is no game ender. You can probably limp home just taking it easy and not taking the axle out, especially if the boot is still intact to hold it from flopping around. If the boot has torn loose you can take some tie wraps and make a loose loop from the arms to let the axle spin in. 99 out of a 100 times the axle will break at the outer CV, so if you want to take the axle out, you just leave the stub in on the outside. I say it would depend on how far you have to limp home. I have went 10 miles with a broke rear before and just went slow and didn't to anything. All depends on your situation. If you are really worried carry the few tools you need and a spare axle. I have seen them changed about 5 minutes on the trail, lol, although that takes someone that has done it a few times before!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
You've got to leave the outer joint in the hub to keep things together.

Everytime I have broken an axle, it has broken at the outer joint, so having the part that I needed was not an issue.

Do NOT try to limp it out of the woods with the axle flopping around. I attempted that once and the axle ripped my brake line in half. The front and rear brakes are not separate (at least they weren't on my '06XP) so I lost ALL brakes. I then had to be railroad trained (one behind and one in front with winch/tow straps attached) to get me down the mountain. We have some pretty extreme hills around here, so it wasn't pleasant.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts