PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an option for a speed key which governs speed on Ranger to 25 mph max. $299.00. I know, who would want that? I did consider it for 15 year old son. It occurred to me this week driving without seat belt it does the same thing, hmmmm I wonder if a switch and a few wires could achieve the same thing without the $299.00
I could hide the switch and keep it safer for younger drivers. Anyone else ever considered this and would it be hard to find a way to do this?

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
There is an option for a speed key which governs speed on Ranger to 25 mph max. $299.00. I know, who would want that? I did consider it for 15 year old son. It occurred to me this week driving without seat belt it does the same thing, hmmmm I wonder if a switch and a few wires could achieve the same thing without the $299.00
I could hide the switch and keep it safer for younger drivers. Anyone else ever considered this and would it be hard to find a way to do this?
The speed key for the 900, has to be installed by a dealer, they use the Digital Wrench software to install. So you may incur some additional cost there.

Not sure about the switch idea.

·
Registered
973 Posts
You have me thinking about the seat belt and thought it cut out at 15 mph, but I will need to check that on my unit again, humm...

·
Registered
533 Posts
25 mph is still pretty fast in a ranger. 10-15 would be ideal I think for younger drivers. I know where we go ride, we rarely get above 15 mph. I've had mine to 48 on a flat road, and that was way too fast for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was assuming it was 25 like the speed key option, did not look. It just occurred to me that they might share the same circuit and I could cheat the speed key option with some creative wiring on my own. But you are probably right about the 15 mph.

·
Registered
56 Posts

YES, I did that exact thing. I unplugged the connector at the bottom of the seat belt, found a mating connector, installed a toggle switch, mounted it hidden under the seat and it works perfectly. Now I flip the switch when my daughter is driving, and she is limited to 25 mph. I may have $5 in the entire project.

·
Registered
133 Posts
We have a hunting camp in the middle of a National Preserve. The ORV speed limit throughout the Preserve is 15 mph, so the built-in seat belt lockout works great for me... don't even have to think about my speed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
YES, I did that exact thing. I unplugged the connector at the bottom of the seat belt, found a mating connector, installed a toggle switch, mounted it hidden under the seat and it works perfectly. Now I flip the switch when my daughter is driving, and she is limited to 25 mph. I may have $5 in the entire project.
I think it is 15 MPH. My bad. I keep it switched to full power unless she is driving, which is very little.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This has turned into a great thread.
Wonderful expansion on this idea. I really like the security key idea.

SAFETY FIRST!
Thanks Greg, I could tell that guys would be into this and I like the idea because the 900 can be dangerous with the power fully unleashed.

·
Registered
84 Posts
My 2015 900 xp is limited to 15 mph without the seatbelt . When I got it home right after I purchased it , I couldn't get it to go faster then 15 mph... I was furious , I had to wait until the next day to get ahold of the dealer , they wanted me to bring it back in, I laughed and told them to come get it and i will pick out a rzr,In the meantime they said they would come pick it up, so my wife and daughter took it for one last ride out back .... As I watched out the window I saw them ripping at speeds well beyond 15 mph ... Needless to say two things .... She was smart enough to put the seatbelt on for safety .... And two the dealership said they didn't know the 2015 models did that, makes you wonder , what these dealers actually do know

Reactions: Deanhunter

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have just ordered that keyed SPST switch from amazon. It should be here in a few days, and I am going to wire this in. I will probably install it inside the glove box? I really considered that yellow key, but (as side form it being so expensive) I just felt like 25 MPH was too fast for the kids. This is going to be so much better.

Thanks again for the idea.

·
Administrator
7,005 Posts
I have just ordered that keyed SPST switch from amazon. It should be here in a few days, and I am going to wire this in. I will probably install it inside the glove box? I really considered that yellow key, but (as side form it being so expensive) I just felt like 25 MPH was too fast for the kids. This is going to be so much better.

Thanks again for the idea.
I agree.
Please do a write up.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not to railroad this thread but, some municipalities and states that allow street legal status for golf carts and neighborhood vehicles require that they not exceed 25mph.
I believe 25MPH is the fastest you can legally go to utilize a Slow Moving Vehicle Sign as well :)

·
Registered
154 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Guys, my 2014 Crew 900 XP wil run top speed with or without the seatbelts latched.Is the seatbelt limiter only for regular cabs or is mine bastard in some way?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.