PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I am going to put a 2004 Sportman 700 transmission into my 2004 Ranger 4x4. I read commanderjjones swap and it looks pretty straight forward. I did notice he shimmed his clutch is this required? Also if my new transmission has park can I use it on my Ranger? If so anyone have any ideas on the modifications I would need to do? Will the factory cable work?

Thank You in advance
Daniel

·
Administrator
7,947 Posts
djb, I haven't seen a Polaris secondary yet that didn't have a shim or three... You shim, obviously, to correct alignment problems, if you have a problem with drive belt tracking.. POS POLARIS did this install and rigged the shifter up to use the Sportmans PARK feature...Once again, if Adam does not stop by, I would send him a PM thru PRC.... And yes, your shifter cable will work.......

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Daniel-

Sportsman swap is pretty much a direct fit. To use the park feature you'll have to drill a hole in the shifter lever on the transmission where the shift cable hooks up. the hole will need to be between where cable hooks up currently, (on the end) and the middle. move your stud to that point and re-attach the cable. some cable adjustment might be needed. Downside to this is that it's harder to move the shift handle between ranges, and the ranges will be closer together. Not a deal breaker, but something to notice. Park will be below reverse, so all the way down will be park. It was the single best thing I ever did to my 700.

You might notice some slight speed differences in the low and high ranges with the sportsman trans, but it's pretty negligible. As with any transmission swap, you might need to add or remove washers(shims) from behind the secondary to get the proper belt alignment. we can walk you though that when you get to that point.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
Gotta have the tool. I don't think they're very expensive, maybe $30? only other way I'd know to do it is to match up the thread pitch and size and go to a store that sells hardware only and find some threaded rod in that size then cut it and weld a nut on the end?

·
Registered
618 Posts
Don't risk not buying the clutch puller. Not only is there the threads in the clutch, but typically the tool is shaped to meet up with the crank as well. I have 2 different ones for my old Arctic Cat sleds and they both are domed at the tip which engaged the crank shaft perfectly as to avoid potential damage in the threaded area. This is one of those tools that is WELL worth the money!
Here is one from one of our sponsors. You may be able to find one a little cheaper on line if you shopped around.

Tools :: Polaris ATV/Ranger/Snowmobile Clutch Puller - Dirty Dawg Performance UTV/Snowmobile Performance Parts

Reactions: Jungleman

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do I need the secondary clutch puller also 2870913? what about the roll pin removal tool part number 2872608? Any other special tools before I get halfway through and realize I can't finish?

Thank You
Daniel

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
don't know why you'd need a secondary clutch puller, you just take the one bolt out in the center and it pulls right off the splines. Don't know what the roll pin removal tool is? I use a hammer and punch, or better yet an air hammer.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have heard of a few people having the secondary clutches seized on from corrosion. The vast majority slide right off the splines as Adam noted. I have always put a VERY fine coat of anti-seize on my secondary clutch splines during installation as I did have one seized once that did require a puller and it sucked! Also as Adam said, roll pin tool= air hammer with a fine tip on it. I made mine out of a larger tip on the grinder to fit the smaller roll pins.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So, on my Ranger I did not have to remove the primary clutch to put in the transmission. but my question is which bell crank shift to use. The one from my ranger is broke and need to get another one. Would I use the one for a Sportsman or Ranger?

·
Administrator
7,947 Posts
I might catch flack for this, but what is a bell crank? guess I'm not sure what part you're referring to?
The lever that the shifter cable actuates on the trans....I think Tesheve named it that for Po........:)

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
I don't recall which lever I used, I think it was the rangers. actually I think they were the same length.

Anyway, there's a hole in the middle of the "bell crank". drill a new one between that hole and the hole where the shift cable attaches. move the shift cable stud to the new hole and attach the cable. adjust cable as needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my part number for my bell crank is 3233825 and the cable goes into the square hole, so I guess I will just play around with the holes and adjusting the cable to see if I can get it through all the gears. If not I may just clock the bell crank so I cannot get into high gear but still have park

·
Registered
1 Posts
Daniel-

Sportsman swap is pretty much a direct fit. To use the park feature you'll have to drill a hole in the shifter lever on the transmission where the shift cable hooks up. the hole will need to be between where cable hooks up currently, (on the end) and the middle. move your stud to that point and re-attach the cable. some cable adjustment might be needed. Downside to this is that it's harder to move the shift handle between ranges, and the ranges will be closer together. Not a deal breaker, but something to notice. Park will be below reverse, so all the way down will be park. It was the single best thing I ever did to my 700.

You might notice some slight speed differences in the low and high ranges with the sportsman trans, but it's pretty negligible. As with any transmission swap, you might need to add or remove washers(shims) from behind the secondary to get the proper belt alignment. we can walk you though that when you get to that point.

Best of luck!
Can you do the swap with 2010 ranger 800? Sportsman 800 transmission? Put sportsman in ranger is what I'm wondering?

·
Administrator
7,947 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Daniel-

Best of luck!
Hi new to the ranger and saw this post. I have a 14 ranger 800 for it with a bad trans. It’s lifted on 32’s. I was going to rebuild the current trans and do a gear reduction. However I heard about the sportsman swap and was wondering if I could do like a 500 or 700 sportsman’s trans which would be geared a little higher and would take place of doing the gear reduction. Any advise or direction would be greatly appreciated

·
Administrator
7,947 Posts
When did they switch to a married transmission + rear differential?
The divorced trans/rear gear cases ended in 2009 on the Rangers.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts