PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Starting Delay

I have a 2005 ranger that started having a delay before turning over last fall. I replaced the battery and still got the same results. I took it to the dealer recently and they said the battery was bad so they replaced it under warranty. Now, once again, I almost always have to hold the key on for about 3-4 secs before it even starts to turn over. Sometimes it will start to turn over very little then quit some times it will not even turn over, I will have to keep trying it and then it will finally. When it does turn over, it does seem real weak. I will admit, it seems like a battery but I have tried 2 new ones. Could this be the starter or is there something else it could be? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
I assume that when the batteries were new, it turned over OK. If so, it sounds like the charging system may not be doing it's job. May want to check out the stator and voltage regulator!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
could also do a voltage drop test on starter wires from battery to solenoid and from solenoid to start itself. Could have corrosion wicking up the cable casuing a high amount of resistance.

had a car do this once...customers complaint was it wouldnt crank again after running for more than 5 mins. if it was cold it would start all day long. but soon as it got warm, it built resistance and wouldnt carry the amperage. i could check it all day with a voltmeter or test light and i had voltage...but apparently not enough amperage. Took me a bit to find it..like...a few days. lol i was so convinced that it was something else that i never even bothered to check wire resistance and parasitic draw. Finally i gave up and made new cables...to my surprise it started flawlessly every time there after. I then cut sheething off the old cables and found that the entire cable was turning "black" from corrosion..there was my problem. lol

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
If it's just a delay (waits a few seconds before the starter engages), then I'd suspect a bad connection.

Although they typically work or they don't, it "could" be a bad solenoid as well. They are cheap, so if I started throwing parts at it, that would be the first thing that I replaced.

Also check the brake interlock switch on the master cylinder. It's rare for the switch to actually fail, but I've seen a loose or corroded connection cause this same issue.

Reactions: mustangwagz

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Yah the brake switch is a HUGE factor with the polaris's from what i see.. A lot of earlier models that had the sensor down low seemed to be more problematic. I hate that stupid sensor. Its tied into the solenoid also. It splits off in teh harness and supplies power to the solenoid, then the ignition switch when turned to "start" supplies the Ground for the solenoid which allows it to crank over. If ya wanna eliminate it, find a wire thats hot at "key on" and cut the "hot" wire for the solenoid, and wire it to the keyed on power wire and you can do away with hitting the brakes to start your machine. That was a feature i really really dont care for.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it has the delay before turning over it is like it is stugging to turn with a weak battery. Today, I charged the battery fully and seemed to turn over much quicker and stronger. So how do I trouble shoot the charging system? Where would the solenoid be located? Should this unit have a rectifier/regulator? It must be charging some or would have went completely dead by now. Thanks for all the help and responses!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
You didn't indicate, but is yours a 500 or 700?

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Since you said it runs normal (is that what you implied?) when the battery is fully charged, I'm inclined to think your starter solenoid and break switch are probably ok mechanically. Like Jerry and WagZ said, a dirty/corroded connection could be your problem. The stator/VR test is kinda long - you may want to get hold of a service manual. You can download a PDF one here for $10 Polaris Ranger Service Manuals PDF Download

1 - 9 of 9 Posts