PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am new to the side by side world. I just recently bought a 2012 800 crew, on a Friday. That Saturday we took it for the short ride to the in-laws. Then Sunday was using it again coming out of my driveway turn the wheel and nothing. Straight I got wheel turns. So I send it away to get fixed from a fella I know. Weird the shaft came off the rack doesn’t see any damage. Lined everything up and put back together. Before this happened the wheel was off center and can turn way sharper right then left. Now nothing has come apart but steering weird like that. Any advise? Much appreciated #newguy

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
" Now nothing has come apart but steering weird like that. Any advise?"

Welcome 207, Your plight is a bit hard to follow but it sounds like the splines are damaged where the steering shaft bolts to the rack and when you turn the wheel it is just skipping over them. Either that or the rack itself is just toast. You didn't mention miles or hours on the machine but a wore out steering rack is not uncommon . I would have someone who is really experienced with mechanics do a thorough check.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Just as Jungleman states, splines at the steering wheel/ shaft interface or splines at the steering shaft/rack input shaft interface. It's also possible that the rack itself is moving away from the pinion inside the steering box due to worn internals (bushings). I'm not sure but I don't think those steering gear boxes are servicable, at least my Service Manual doesn't have service information for them. There are after market companies making heavy duty steering boxes for some Rangers. Rackboss is one that comes to mind. There may be others.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Yeah, no,the steering rack is not serviceable. Once it is done , you are usually sitting there spinning the wheel 360 degrees and the front wheels are not budging. I have dissected a couple bad 700 steering rack and found them to be full of mud from the top seal failing and the bushing shot out. Like Steve mentioned, the RACK BOSS is a big beefy rack system and is what I would have a PROFESSIONAL MEKANIK install if I needed one. I have installed a couple of these and although it is not a lot of fun, it could be worse installation wise. I have the Super ATV rack in my 700 as they did not have a RACK BOSS available for the 2008 and more experienced 700 Rangers. Just for fun I cleaned the top seal on the rack input shaft and poured on some JB Weld to give the seal a bit of protection . Ebay is usually a good place to buy a RACK BOSS.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You might check the bolt that goes thru the steering shaft coupler at the rack. If the bolt is too long, It'll hit the frame and not let it turn all the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts