PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What is the standard ply tires that comes on a 570 2015 ranger? My husband just got a ranger after owning a rhino for 11 years. He is very unhappy with the tires. This ranger is not used for any excessive riding mainly for work purposes. He does wildlife management and control burning so he is mainly riding trails and fire breaks. This ranger is about a month old and he has put 20+ plugs in the tires and they are still going down. He is assuming it is 2 ply however a friend of his got the same model from the same place and just uses it for hunting so riding trails and has not had a problem with the tires and they are the same stock tires that are on ours. My husband said that when he plugged the tires he did not have to use much force at all. Is it possible that he got a defective set of tires on it? if so how would he prove this he bought 2 yrs warrenty with it. Is there a place you can take it to where they can test how much pressure it takes to puncture the tire? When he got it it took a little longer to process the sale cause it was brand new and they had not even put it in inventory yet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe they are 4 ply tires. You will most people's opinion here is they are susceptible to punctures pretty easy. I put a plug in mine on week 2 myself. An 8 ply tire is definitely worth the upgrade from what I am reading on here.

Discraftpro

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
Wrong. All 4 plies do a lot better than 6 or 8 plus is give you more flats a and they are cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
436 Posts
Why not just get 10-12 ply or maybe the tires solid for more hardness. Your spine is the just the shock absorber. Ask me why. I have had 4 back operations due to Dirt bike, Snowmobile & ATV abuse. I am over 70 and my doctors have told me the abuse has ruined my spine. Its not fun to live in pain al most everyday even here is Arizona.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
I was referring to your comment saying the 6 or 8 ply tires would "ride a lot rougher". Most will not, especially with a quality tire run at the proper air pressure. What good is a tire if you can't ride on it because it is getting flat and you are having to deal with that and unplanned moments, not to mention the poor traction and handling most cheaper 4 ply tires will have? If ride is ones main concern then look into suspension changes. I run stiff LT truck tires on my Ranger and my suspension makes it ride FAR better than any tire will on a stock setup.

Why not just get 10-12 ply or maybe the tires solid for more hardness. Your spine is the just the shock absorber. Ask me why. I have had 4 back operations due to Dirt bike, Snowmobile & ATV abuse. I am over 70 and my doctors have told me the abuse has ruined my spine. Its not fun to live in pain al most everyday even here is Arizona.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I can't imagine the ply or tire set up between a Rhino vs. Polaris is that different. Given the number of plugs (20 plus), I would question more any possible changes to trails. That is, 15 years ago I experienced some tire issues because someone was purposely putting tacks out to prevent/steer me away from my property trails and once that was resolved no more issues or alternatively are the trails being covered by thorns for some odd reason? Again, I just don't see that much different in factor OEM tires between to two units to account for that magnitude of difference or is he exploring new trails never driven on wiht the rhino?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I had the original Carlisles on my 2011 for 2 seasons. I didn't have any puncture issues, but replaced them when the cap on 1 of them started to lift. I replaced them w/ ITP Baja Cross tires. They're 8 ply construction, but haven't noticed them "riding" harder than the Carlisles.

The riding terrain is rocky Canadian Shield terrain similar to upstate NY or the UP in Mich' w/ some logging slash mixed in.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies. The are 4 ply he corrected himself the other day. The trails are recently disked fire breaks. The rhino never went on them cause it broke down before he started fire breaks on this piece of property for this client. He said he picked an oak limb out of it not a big one but maybe a 1/4 inch round and a few inches long that had a tiny stub on it. He said when he was finally through with plugging the tires he put about 32 plugs in them but so far so good no more flats since then of course he has not rode it much except to cut fire wood in our back yard. The tires that are on the rhino now are 6 ply i believe but he has only plugged it one time since he has had it. He is looking into getting 6 or 8 ply's we don't need any bigger because he does not want to tear up clients clover fields. Its just hard to believe that there is that much difference between a 4 ply and 6 ply 32 plugs worth. Maybe they don't make them like they use to??

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
not all 8 ply ride rough try pitbull rockers nice and smooth T&S

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.