PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I'm assuming this affects my dad's new 2019 Northstar? Man will he be disappointed.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Not saying your dad shouldn’t get it fixed, but it takes a belt break to cause the issue. Unless he’s hitting it hard, it’s probably not going to happen very soon.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Not saying your dad shouldn’t get it fixed, but it takes a belt break to cause the issue. Unless he’s hitting it hard, it’s probably not going to happen very soon.
You're probably right, and Dad goes pretty easy on things so he won't be stressing the belt. He's 92 and not really into wild off roading.
I'm already a bit disappointed with the dealer he got it from. Yesterday I helped him by adding a cable to attach a Battery Tender (easy job) and when I went to disconnect the battery, as I always do when working on electrical stuff, neither the positive nor the ground cable were tightened on the battery terminals;they were just sitting there. We attached the charger and even after 10 hours it was still charging so the battery is pretty low. I guess they just leave the battery disconnected at the dealership and never charge it no matter how long the vehicle sits before sale. No wonder the OEM batteries go bad within a year of sale for some people.

My plan today is to go down and double check all the fluid levels to be certain theya re where they should be. I have a feeling the dealer didn't do any predelivery checks but just dropped the battery terminals on and delivered it.

As of now it's looking like this dealer isn't much better than some others on the Forum complain about and it about like most car dealers when it comes to doing work correctly. They asked Dad if he wanted the extended warranty and he refused. As of now I'm glad he did if taking it in for warranty repair will result in a don't care attitude and poor workmanship.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Funny you mention about the battery. When my dealer delivered my 900XP, the driver started the machine, backed it off the trailer, had me sign paperwork and drove off. When I went to start the machine it wouldn't start. When I lifted the seat and pulled the storage bin out, the battery cable was NEXT to the battery terminal, NOT ON IT! I took a picture of it and sent to my salesman. He went back and gave a ass chewin.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Does this mean when I go to buy one wensday, they not gonna be able to sell me one🤔

·
Super Moderator
6,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Does this mean when I go to buy one wensday, they not gonna be able to sell me one🤔
Legally Yes, but units have been sold under stop sale safety notices.
It depends on when they received the notice and if they have actually looked at it.
Check with your Dealer First,

·
Registered
170 Posts
I got the email Friday I think. Been out of town on vacation. I’ll call my dealer tomorrow and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Called dealer this morning, he said they couldn't sell yet,
They called this evening, they finally got the serial #s, so he looked and said he has 2 like I'm wanting he can sale.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
As with anything new, CHECK IT OUT WHEN YOU GET IT. Get a torque driver and wrench on every nut, bolt, screw you can and don't forget to check allllll fluids twice. Remember the stealerships hire minimum wage workers to deliver and set up our rides. They have little to no training and less knowledge than a rock on the side of the road. JMHO.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Dad talked to thedealre yesterday and since he had so recently purchased his Northstar they are sending someone out to his house to install the necessary fix. That's better service than I would have expected.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
Just as promised, the dealer sent a mechanic out to Dad's house this morning to install the parts that prevent the fuel line from being damaged should the belt break. The repair is easy, replaces one metal part around the belt air intake duct and takes about 15 minutes to install.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Anyone have the part number or a picture of the part ? My dealer wants $175 to come get my machine, fix it and bring it back. I am about 50 miles from the dealer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I had the recall done on my 2018 xp1000 last week. They said it only takes about 10 minutes to do it. I also had the look into the service advisory on the clutch. I had been having some issues with hard shifting especially when it is cold. They ended up replacing some parts for free and it is working good now.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
I don't have a picture but I saw the part being installed. If you look at the air intake for your clutch located on top of the clutch cover you'll see a square steel ring that holds the intake boot for the clutch air intake in place. The new part replaces that square ring with a new one that has a steel guard maybe 3 inches long and maybe an inch and a half wide attached to the rear most part of the square ring to protect the fuel lines in the case of the belt breaking and tearing through the clutch cover and hitting the nearby fuel lines. There really isn't much to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just got this done on my machine yesterday. Once home, I stuck my head in and snapped these two pics but I still cannot really tell what is different or has been changed. I was yakking with the owner of the dealership (about KTMs) for the 45min they were doing both this and the clutch service bulletin so I did not get to witness exactly what they were installing.
The steel square plate that holds the exhaust boot to the aluminum housing is nice and clean so I am thinking that is all they replaced? Looks to have a longer lip/shelf which faces forwards protruding out from under the exhaust boot.

The part # for my unit is 5633826 which also matches the 2020 XP1000 models. So maybe this is not the part they changed/installed? The hose with the green marking is my trans vent line and is now pinched tight by the new plate I believe they installed. Will have to reroute that once I get ready to do the snorkel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just got this done on my machine yesterday. Once home, I stuck my head in and snapped these two pics but I still cannot really tell what is different or has been changed. I was yakking with the owner of the dealership (about KTMs) for the 45min they were doing both this and the clutch service bulletin so I did not get to witness exactly what they were installing.
The steel square plate that holds the exhaust boot to the aluminum housing is nice and clean so I am thinking that is all they replaced? Looks to have a longer lip/shelf which faces forwards protruding out from under the exhaust boot.

View attachment 130107 View attachment 130108

The part # for my unit is 5633826 which also matches the 2020 XP1000 models. So maybe this is not the part they changed/installed? The hose with the green marking is my trans vent line and is now pinched tight by the new plate I believe they installed. Will have to reroute that once I get ready to do the snorkel.
The Polaris P/N is 2208479. Just got it today, Plate with 2 screws. Got it from Partzilla: OEM Motorcycle Parts, ATV Parts, Marine Parts for $18 out the door.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts