PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
My rookie advice is slow down...post some pics....you said socket stripped so I assume it's the plug that stripped and not the wrench.

There is a vent line you may be able to insert a suction tube in to pump out fluid with a vacuum pump....then remove the overfill plug to make sure you insert correct level fluid.

Short of that I would explore tapping an over sized Allen or torx whatever fits into plug and give it a try....

Pics will help ALL cypher best attack

·
Registered
668 Posts
Since this plug is not totally recessed into the gear case, it could probably be turned using a dull cold chisel or flat nosed punch and a hammer. I have removed many stuck bolts and such over the years like this. You just have to be careful and not damage the gear case housing. I also looked at those torx extractors and if you are sure the plugs are torx, they might work. All the plugs on both my machines are allen. I have an old handheld hammer impact that has removed many stuck bolts and screws, but I'm not sure how strong the gear case housing is. Every time I try to use an EZ out on something really stuck tight it breaks.
I also put never-sieze on those plugs.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Those dam things like to get tighter and in kind of a bad spot. Your best bet is to take as big of a hex nut as you can get in there, inside should not be larger then the plug, hold it on and mig weld the inside to the plug, then use an impact.

·
Registered
4,809 Posts
What year is the rig? Post a picture as another suggested please. I may have a couple other suggestions. I've worked on alot of farm equipment and if it wasn't stuck it was probably because it was broke
Is Polaris getting so cheap they had someone from China do the manual or simple layman not an engineer and the translation got fouled? I've seen similar problems on other things
Just because it says it in a PO service manual, doesn't mean it is so.....Sorry to say, many times this has been the case..

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rangerwhit said; Put the impact on her!
I just fixed a 2016 900 Ranger that had been stripped
He brought me the buggy & a new drain plug & said he stripped it with a torx bit
The new plug is OEM Polaris 8mm Allen (Hex)
I just got a bigger torx, tapped it in with a hammer & impact zipped it right out

·
Registered
650 Posts
Rangerwhit said; Put the impact on her!
I just fixed a 2016 900 Ranger that had been stripped
He brought me the buggy & a new drain plug & said he stripped it with a torx bit
The new plug is OEM Polaris 8mm Allen (Hex)
I just got a bigger torx, tapped it in with a hammer & impact zipped it right out
Is there a rash of this happening because people are doing as the manual suggests and using the torx? Looks like shops are getting a nice gimme

·
Registered
262 Posts
Just because it says it in a PO service manual, doesn't mean it is so.....Sorry to say, many times this has been the case..
I looked in the service manual for the 900 xp and it doesn't mention what tool to use. I believe the OP might be confusing torque with torx.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Is there a rash of this happening because people are doing as the manual suggests and using the torx? Looks like shops are getting a nice gimme
It seem like a rash of common sense not being so common anymore. I've had to replace my front diff plug because the allen wrench STARTED to get some slack when it was inserted. Gotta be proactive!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Have to use go advanced...right next to post quick reply.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
15 Participants
pyromedic
PRC Polaris Ranger Club
PRCforum is the best Polaris forum community to discuss RZR 1000, Crew 900, PRC Ranger Club, XP 900, RZR XP 4 900, RZR 570, HD, 170, RZR-S, XP 900, RZR XP 4 900, ORV, side by side, SSW and off-road information.
Full Forum Listing