PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Did this work? i am a technologically challenged 67 year old.
In order to post a picture go to the "Advanced" tab at the bottom right of the text window and click it. The text box will reopen in the Advanced mode. Go to the "Insert Image" icon in the icons near the top of the text box and click it. A small window title "Insert Image" will open. Click the "From Computer" tab, click "Browse" and locate the image on your computer. Click the image you wish to upload and then click "Open" and then "Upload". The image code line will appear in the text box and should appear as an image when you click "Submit Reply".

P1020228 (Small).JPG

·
Registered
969 Posts
How much you charge for one of those pyro? Ive just been being careful with the cable. Wouldn't it make sense if they made the cable just a hair shorter than the length of the shock?!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
How much you charge for one of those pyro? Ive just been being careful with the cable. Wouldn't it make sense if they made the cable just a hair shorter than the length of the shock?!
Rod, I actually thought about making some for sale but found that they can be purchased so inexpensively it isn't worth it. Besides, I my machining is a hobby and I have a lot of other stuff on my plate right now so time in the shop is extremely limited. If I had the time I'd make you a set and send 'em to you free, but sorry, can't do it just now. I think if you do a search of this site you'll find a post or two where someone mentioned exactly where to buy factory made ends.

You may find what you need here: https://www.mcmaster.com/gas-spring-fitting-eyelets

However, there is another option. When I made those for my Ranger I also added a cable becasue Rangers weren't equipped with them at the time. I went to my local home improvement store and purchased plastic coated cable, 3/16" if memory serves me, the ferrules, thimbles and the crimping tool all for about $20 and made my own cable that is a bit shorter than the shock travel at full extension. You could make yourself a shorter cable and negate the need for new rod ends becasue the rod ends you have will never be put under stress.

IMG_0144.JPG

·
Registered
668 Posts
I fixed mine with a 3/8 inch steel set collar. Remove the set screw, tap threads to 8mm or 6mm which ever size the rod happens to be.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
I’ve had the same happen to me but my plug was an Allen head. I used a slightly larger torx socket for a 3/8 ratchet and tapped it in with a hammer. Worked like a charm. Of course I already had the replacement because it’s pretty much trash afterwards. On the factory Allen head plugs, they use a press to make the holes so there are littles ears inside the head that keeps the Allen wrench from going in very far. That’s why they strip out easily. I used a small punch to knock them little suckers out so it wouldn’t happen again

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
If you followed the step I outlined it should have worked. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the resolution of your picture is too great. If it takes a long tome for the attachment to upload that may be hint at that possibility. I often reduce resolution of my photos by using Paint, a program that is part of Windows. I open the photo with Paint, click "Resize, choose Pixels and use about 600 Horizontal. If the Maintain Aspect Ratio box is checked (it should be Vertical will automatically change. Save the edited photo with a title you'll recognize and you're ready to upload it.

Although officially this won't work, I have been able to post photos without going Advanced by reducing resolution to around 500 Pixels horizontal. The pictures still have plenty of resolution for a computer monitor.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Polaris didn't write this manual, unless you paid around $130.

correct : if the manual states it's a torx then it's either the wrong manual or a knock-off generic one.

I bought the OEM polaris shop manual . No where does it state that it takes a torx bit. All it says is "remove plug" As a matter of fact there are very few places in the manual at all that make refence to the size of the plug/fitting/bolt/nut. Just torque specs. Pretty much everything now is gone metric so it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
correct : if the manual states it's a torx then it's either the wrong manual or a knock-off generic one.

I bought the OEM polaris shop manual . No where does it state that it takes a torx bit. All it says is "remove plug" As a matter of fact there are very few places in the manual at all that make refence to the size of the plug/fitting/bolt/nut. Just torque specs. Pretty much everything now is gone metric so it's a no brainer.
This brings up a question:

I have one of those digital manuals I purchased on line for about $10 for the download. I've never seen the expensive Polaris paper manual but for all the world the one I have looks like the genuine article.

The Forward at the beginning of the manual states:
"The information printed within this publication includes the latest product information at time of print.
This Service Manual is designed primarily for use by certified Polaris Master Service Dealer® technicians in a properly
equipped shop and should be kept available for reference. All references to left and right side of the vehicle are from
the operator's perspective when seated in a normal riding position."

There is another paragraph that advises using the dealer for repairs if you don't understand the manual or have a mechanical background then it states:
"Publication Printed September 2014 (PN 9925717 R01)"

So, do I have the Polaris manual or not and if so how does the seller of the digital version get around copyright laws to sell them for $10?

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
About this Discussion
51 Replies
15 Participants
pyromedic
PRC Polaris Ranger Club
PRCforum is the best Polaris forum community to discuss RZR 1000, Crew 900, PRC Ranger Club, XP 900, RZR XP 4 900, RZR 570, HD, 170, RZR-S, XP 900, RZR XP 4 900, ORV, side by side, SSW and off-road information.
Full Forum Listing