PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out why my ranger surges. What it does is when I'm going slow and just holding my foot steady on the gas..... the engine will surge up and down. It is really noticable when going down a long hill and to the point of being annoying.
Other issues that I have is idleing (it dies on my pretty often when I have my foot off the gas). It runs pretty rough right after I start it and start going (spits and sputters), but then it will smooth out and run fair. Even at a moderate speed, it does not run smooth. I can hear like a miss every now and then. Sometimes the exhaust smells like it is running rich.

I have replaced the TPS and the connector and that did not change anything. Checked all the wires for every sensor for continuity from the connector all the way to the ECM input. Replaced the spark plug. Replaced the air Temp sensor. I have bench tested the injector and it fires fine. Checked the fuel pressure and it is steady at 40psi. I have throughly checked for wire chafgin/breakage. I repair a couple wires that had exposed copper, but that did not change anything.

Cannot swear that someone has already jacked with the adjustement setting on the throttle body.

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
I am trying to figure out why my ranger surges. What it does is when I'm going slow and just holding my foot steady on the gas..... the engine will surge up and down. It is really noticable when going down a long hill and to the point of being annoying.
Other issues that I have is idleing (it dies on my pretty often when I have my foot off the gas). It runs pretty rough right after I start it and start going (spits and sputters), but then it will smooth out and run fair. Even at a moderate speed, it does not run smooth. I can hear like a miss every now and then. Sometimes the exhaust smells like it is running rich.

I have replaced the TPS and the connector and that did not change anything. Checked all the wires for every sensor for continuity from the connector all the way to the ECM input. Replaced the spark plug. Replaced the air Temp sensor. I have bench tested the injector and it fires fine. Checked the fuel pressure and it is steady at 40psi. I have throughly checked for wire chafgin/breakage. I repair a couple wires that had exposed copper, but that did not change anything.

Cannot swear that someone has already jacked with the adjustement setting on the throttle body.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Having NO IDEA what year Ranger you have............surging is usually caused by a malfunctioning IAC ,normally a harness problem, but with only your fuel pressure to go by to FIGURE OUT WHAT YEAR AND MOTOR, it is probably pre 2011 and the engine would have no IAC.

Reactions: pyromedic

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The year model for my Ranger is shown in my signature at the bottom of my post (it shows up on mine anyways....).

Mine is a 2013 Ranger 500 EFI Mid-Size.

No IAC on mine.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I have a 2015 Ranger 570 FS and I have experienced surging at low speeds since the day I got it new. One thing that I know contributes to it, on mine anyway, is the clutch, especially when cold. Adding a Duraclutch helped but did not cure the problem completely. As the belt warms and becomes more flexible it rides up and down the clutch sheaves more smoothly. I find it still surges when cold and is much better once warm. If, in neutral, I hold the throttle pedal steady, the tach will show a variation of up to 1k RPM as it "hunts". I believe it is probably the mapping of the fuel in the ECM. I've considered a tune, not so much for performance, but to provide smoother low speed running. I have instead learned to live with it, especially since it gets much better once the engine is fully warmed, which seems to take a while with the 570 even though the thermostat is working properly. 1000s warm up much faster at least the one in my Dad's Northstar does.
If you have EFI it may be the fuel mapping of the ECU, if yours is carbureted, you may be able to change some jets and adjustments to smooth things out, provided of course that the carb doesn't have other issues like being dirty, clogged passages or damaged internal parts.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
Your information does not show (on my screen) unless you click on "Show Full Signature".

Anyway, So yes, without a IAC the surging is no doubt from the set up with the flow screw on the TB and the TPS setting. You will have to hunt and peck and record settings until it sounds right.........OR buy a new throttle body which would suck.....

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your information does not show (on my screen) unless you click on "Show Full Signature".

Anyway, So yes, without a IAC the surging is no doubt from the set up with the flow screw on the TB and the TPS setting. You will have to hunt and peck and record settings until it sounds right.........OR buy a new throttle body which would suck.....
I have to click the "show full Signature" here too in order to see anybodys sig. Guess I need to start looking at adjusting the TB. Will not be buying a new throttle body.

Thanks

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 2015 Ranger 570 FS and I have experienced surging at low speeds since the day I got it new. One thing that I know contributes to it, on mine anyway, is the clutch, especially when cold. Adding a Duraclutch helped but did not cure the problem completely. As the belt warms and becomes more flexible it rides up and down the clutch sheaves more smoothly. I find it still surges when cold and is much better once warm. If, in neutral, I hold the throttle pedal steady, the tach will show a variation of up to 1k RPM as it "hunts". I believe it is probably the mapping of the fuel in the ECM. I've considered a tune, not so much for performance, but to provide smoother low speed running. I have instead learned to live with it, especially since it gets much better once the engine is fully warmed, which seems to take a while with the 570 even though the thermostat is working properly. 1000s warm up much faster at least the one in my Dad's Northstar does.
If you have EFI it may be the fuel mapping of the ECU, if yours is carbureted, you may be able to change some jets and adjustments to smooth things out, provided of course that the carb doesn't have other issues like being dirty, clogged passages or damaged internal parts.
FWIW: A friend of mine has a 2015-570 and it runs smooth.... doesnt surge at all at any speed.

Speaking of the "Tune" who does this? Are they tuning the Rangers thru the ECM like they do with cars and trucks (thru the ODBII connector)?

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
FWIW: A friend of mine has a 2015-570 and it runs smooth.... doesnt surge at all at any speed.

Speaking of the "Tune" who does this? Are they tuning the Rangers thru the ECM like they do with cars and trucks (thru the ODBII connector)?
There are companies like Gilomen that tune your ECU and companies like Dynatek that offer tuners so you can make changes yourself. I'm not recommending either of these companies, they are just examples of a number of companies that offer various methods of changing the tuning of Polaris vehicles.

Regarding your friend's 570, perhaps he just got lucky. I don't believe there is anything wrong with my 570, it runs fine, but does seem to be on the lean side. Several 570 owners have complained about their exhaust getting glowing red hot from day one, others have complained about minor surging like mine does, and still others have said they tend to run lean. The only way to really know would be to use an exhaust gas analyzer or put it on a chassis dyno. What little I've read about tunes provided by sending in your ECU and having it reflashed tells me that air fuel ratio is tweaked a little richer. Don't take that to the bank, at best it's second, and now third hand information.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
My 570 ACE has always done that. Sometimes more noticeable than others, and my RS1 also does it sometimes.
It is on steep hills and it is like the transition from idle to power is just off and on instead of a smooth transition.
I just live with it since it is random and usually smooths out in a few minutes.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My 570 ACE has always done that. Sometimes more noticeable than others, and my RS1 also does it sometimes.
It is on steep hills and it is like the transition from idle to power is just off and on instead of a smooth transition.
I just live with it since it is random and usually smooths out in a few minutes.
I have noticed that too after going down a steep hill and foot on the brake..... if it doesnt die on me going down the hill, alot of times it will when I get to the bottom and give it gas.

Really annoying. :(

·
Registered
2 Posts

Any ideas?

Thanks
Did you ever figure out what this issue was that you were having? I am having exact same issue with mine.

·
Registered
5,748 Posts
RR, on a non IAC application the only other thing that can cause surging is the TPS. Either a bad TPS or a bad harness OR a out of adjustment TPS..............

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
RR, on a non IAC application the only other thing that can cause surging is the TPS. Either a bad TPS or a bad harness OR a out of adjustment TPS..............
I'm thinking since i have replaced the tps and connector, checked continuity of each tps wire from connector to ECM, I am thinking it is the adjusment that is out. I have fiddled with it but just cant seem to get it exactly right.
Ill just have to keep messing with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nope. Still does it. Havent really looked at it much more.
Ok. Thank you.
forgive my naivety but when you say IAC application..... what does that mean? Also how do you adjust the TPS?

·
Registered
5,748 Posts

1 - 17 of 17 Posts