PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Based on recommendations here, i jacked up the front end of the ranger and shook the tire at 9 and 3, 12 and 6. The tire was loose but I don’t know what is acceptable vs not. The play was worse at 9/3 but I would say appx 1/4 inch of slop. Is this normal? Seems like ball joint. Suspension and ranger has 3000 miles of ranch use. The tie rod boots need to be replaced so I’m wondering if I should replace more suspension parts while it is apart.

The prop shaft is also coming out so again, suspension will be disassembled. Speaking of prop shaft removal, can anyone direct me to a decent video on removing the shaft for a 2013 900 xp? Thought I saw one a year ago but can’t located it.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Play at 12 & 6 is ball joints or bushings at the bottom of the bearing carrier or wheel bearings.. The bushings are only plastic like the A Arm bushings. Play at 3 & 9 could come from those same bushings and wheel bearings and also from tie rod ends and/or the steering rack.
You need to look at the wear points while someone is moving the wheel and see where the clearance is, i.e. what moves. If the wheel moves independently of the bearing carrier it's wheel bearings. If the entire bearing carrier moves then it's one of the other components mentioned.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you pyro, helpful.

Also, have learned the prop shaft issue was related to the splines in the rear yoke more than u joints. Plan to address both

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
And keep in mind that even after carefully installing new balljoints/tie-rod ends/suspension bushings and wheel bearings that you will still have some play return after about a month of use :(

·
Registered
5,401 Posts
Also keep in mind that after a while the hubs themselves can give you some slop .

·
Registered
517 Posts
Play at 12 & 6 is ball joints or bushings at the bottom of the bearing carrier or wheel bearings.. The bushings are only plastic like the A Arm bushings. Play at 3 & 9 could come from those same bushings and wheel bearings and also from tie rod ends and/or the steering rack.
You need to look at the wear points while someone is moving the wheel and see where the clearance is, i.e. what moves. If the wheel moves independently of the bearing carrier it's wheel bearings. If the entire bearing carrier moves then it's one of the other components mentioned.
One thing to add to this is a lot of times the play can be caused by wear of multiple components at the same time. A-arm bushings mixed with wheel bearings, etc. As pyro stated, visual inspection is key.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts