PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can some one tell me y they have gone to synthetic oil in the front & rear drive cases & trans is this much better then the old 80- 90w or is to get more $$$$$ out of us[:(!].I was told this synthetic is not oil?I am so use to 80 90w and a little power punch in the cases?Can anyone can shed sum light on this.

· Registered
92 Posts
some are running the amsoil 75-90 synthetic in the front, rear and tranny with good feedback, i personally have not tried it yet.

· Registered
7,898 Posts
I'm running all Lucas fluids in mine and several others are to. I use the 75/90 in the front and rear diffs, Lucas Sure Shift semi-synthetic tranny fluid and Lucas 0W-40 engine oil. I've been very pleased with it. JMO

Brian

· Registered
326 Posts
Ive switched all my fluids to Lucas as ChiefMorton ive put about 2 hrs on it since and i think it runs quiter.

· Registered
127 Posts
I don't know about these Rangers, but Amsoil is a superior oil to dino oil. I run Amsoil in my vehicles in the diffs and they run quieter and improve fuel mileage. I run 75-140.

I have a buddy that used to dirt track race and Amsoil is all he would run in his diff. He swore is was worth faster lap times.

· Registered
744 Posts
Lucas Oil is the way to go. Dwayne recently shared with me of a new product for the belt tranny systems out in the world today. This stuff is noticeably different and is not only smooth it is quite.

I will post more about it here shortly.

freddy

· Registered
99 Posts
I once read that blends were better. Synthetic is slicker and a better lubercant, but it will not "stick" to components when not in use. Thus creating a none lubercated startup situation. Dinosarus oil are less slippery but much more sticky thus allowing it to remain on components durning none use. I know these are very simplicitc terms, but that is how it was explained to me??

· Registered
16 Posts
Okay, so we've probably all heard about the detergents and special additives in oils. Where I went to school the lesson was, if the additives are the same, so is the oil.?
Oil discussions are about like political discussion. Everyone has an opinion. [:)]
Does anyone know for certain if the clutch runs in the motor oil on Rangers? I was so told by a dealer. Seems like a clutch would slip bad running in oil, ie: slipping like a greasy clutch.
Off the path, my Cat 4000 psi high pressure washer pump is supposed to run only, Cat oil. The pump has had a full synthetic engine oil running in it now for 5+ years, used very often, and has been changed 3x. With no indications of any problems with the pump, no leaks, squeeks or break downs.
As far as Lucas oil goes, I'm a fan there too. I use it in very heavy applications. Their semi 5th wheel lube is the best I've found. When a product stands up to heavy earth moving equipment and semi tractor trailer use, with zero incidents of failure, it's good enough for me.
I'd appreciate any input about the oils / fluids.
The rest is my 2 cents worth.

· Registered
1,787 Posts
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by wade

I once read that blends were better. Synthetic is slicker and a better lubercant, but it will not "stick" to components when not in use. Thus creating a none lubercated startup situation. Dinosarus oil are less slippery but much more sticky thus allowing it to remain on components durning none use. I know these are very simplicitc terms, but that is how it was explained to me??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"> Sounds good, I'll buy into that theory.[;)]

· Registered
36 Posts
Well syns are slicker most of the time. yes the oil is just a carrier for the package. Yes most syns run off the parts(ours does not)In most cases syns are thinner allowing for tighter tolerances and more ability to deal with heat. We have taken it a bit further and use better base stocks that are cleaner, then use the additive packages some of which is our own pat. Our syns have a package to adhere to parts.
yes it is alot of trouble and money to make things this way but when your name is on it you want it to be the best. Yes we are family owned and American. Thanks Dwayne

· Registered
10,843 Posts
As a former Mobil Lubricant Distributor, I've become a huge believer in synthetics and think that nearly all the rumors about syns have been dispelled over the years. Synthetics are now the initial factory fill for many quality products and have proven over and over again to be superior to dino oils. Having said that, however, I think many folks over-react to this discussion. In most cases, as long as the lubricants you're using meet the specs required by the product manufacturer, everything will be just fine -- especially as it relates to these Rangers. I always roll my eyes when I read where someone claims that a particular big name lube is junk (I'm not saying that anyone here is doing that).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.