PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
New to the club. I searched before but couldn't find an answer so here goes...
2014 Ranger 900 XP Browning

The tail lights stay on after the key is Off.... Forever. They do not "time out" and stay on until the battery is drained.
I replaced the ignition switch but that didn't solve it.
I'm not near the Ranger right now, so I'm going from memory. I'll be able to tinker on it again this weekend.

For the last year I've used a negative disconnect on the battery terminal (knob type) and loosen that knob at the end of the day to prevent battery from going dead, but that's a pain for the primary operator who is elderly, as you have to pull the seat up, etc.

Once the negative battery terminal is disconnected, the tail lights go out. I can immediately tighten/reconnect the negative battery terminal and the lights will not come back on. But as soon as the ignition switch is cycled on and then off....the lights stay on and never go out until I disconnect the negative battery terminal again.

I've read some "similar" threads before joining that mentioned changing the brake pressure switch could possibly be a remedy. I just didn't know if indeed that would fix the "tail" lights because it's not the "brake" lights staying illuminated.

Also - I'm not 100% sure from memory, but I think the AWD switch stays illuminated on the dash too. I'll have to check again to verify, but I'm pretty sure that's why I just assumed it was the ignition switch initially and changed it. And I recall having a new relay and swapping those around under the hood and checking fuses some time ago too.

Thank you in advance for help!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Could a faulty brake switch keep just tail/running lights on?

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Was going to suggest you download a service manual, but there isn't one here...

Don't think it is a brake switch because the running lights are on when switch is in run position. Sounds like a pdm issue but need a manual to be sure. If it were a short, lights would come back on when battery reconnected. Check all connections to the pdm or whatever your computer is called anyway. Key switch is still suspect to me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Rangerwhit!

I'm heading out to where the ranger is stored this weekend and will check the connections at the pdm.
The key switch I replaced it with was a new oem switch, so that's why I struck that off my list of possibilities. But I could pull the switch out of the other '13 Ranger and swap it real quick to just make sure.
I'm glad that it's not a wire short to chase down.

Thanks again!
RR

Reactions: Rangerwhit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swapped key switches with another Ranger today and that didn't solve it.
I also unplugged the key switch and the tail lights still remained ON.
(Verified that the dash AWD switch is illuminated with the tail lights too, so it's not just the tail lights that are staying on).

I unlocked the black levers on the two ECU plugs, jiggled and pushed them in tight and locked the black levers down.
When I got home (and to phone signal) I see now that I could've unscrewed the ECU mount and fully removed the plugs for a better inspection.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solved!

This Browning unit has a factory heater. The blower turn knob switch was thought to have a bad connection at one time and an added wire had been jumped/spliced into an adjacent hot wire. A fuse had been added in this jumper wire.
I pulled the fuse to kill the connection and everything worked as it should.
The fan motor switch still even worked. So I'm going to guess that fan knob issue was just a lose connection all along and this jumper wire wasn't even needed back then.

Thanks Rangerwhit for your feedback! That kept me from buying a brake switch I didn't need.

Nice to finally do away with the battery disconnect.

RR

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Glad you tracked it down. So the power was coming through the fan switch to the run circuit. I wouldn't think the switch would be hot all the time anyway. Sounds like one of my rig jobs!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Bear with me because wiring is a little out of my wheelhouse.
Wires from the fan speed control knob went down to the bottom of the dash to a black plug. I think maybe this was plugging into a relay(??). And as you can see in the picture a yellow jumper wire was spliced into one wire in the plug and then into an adjacent wire within the same plug assembly and there was a 20 amp fuse inline in the splice.

I'm not sure exactly how that affected the dash switches staying illuminated (awd and headlight switches) and the tail lights, but as soon as that fuse was removed it was fixed. And the darn fan control worked without this too.
I'm guessing it's because this setup was keeping the relay (?) from doing it's job? And somehow that ties to the other things that were affected.

My guess is the whole root of the cause was the fan connection was likely just dirty or loose to begin with and didn't need to be tampered with as it was.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Bear with me because wiring is a little out of my wheelhouse.
Wires from the fan speed control knob went down to the bottom of the dash to a black plug. I think maybe this was plugging into a relay(??). And as you can see in the picture a yellow jumper wire was spliced into one wire in the plug and then into an adjacent wire within the same plug assembly and there was a 20 amp fuse inline in the splice.

I'm not sure exactly how that affected the dash switches staying illuminated (awd and headlight switches) and the tail lights, but as soon as that fuse was removed it was fixed. And the darn fan control worked without this too.
I'm guessing it's because this setup was keeping the relay (?) from doing it's job? And somehow that ties to the other things that were affected.

My guess is the whole root of the cause was the fan connection was likely just dirty or loose to begin with and didn't need to be tampered with as it was.

View attachment 131447
I see vampire wire splices were used best to never use those as they damage wiring harness by allowing moisture into it. Should be removed and some liquid wire used to cover the damaged wire insulation.

Reactions: Rangerwhit and BPS
1 - 9 of 9 Posts