PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tested the ac voltage going into my regulator. Each outside leg had somewhere around 60 coming to it. not sure of the rpm's, my daughter was on the accelerator. However, the middle leg had only around 2 volts. would that mean my stator is bad? I first posted about this in "voltage issue"
any help would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
7,232 Posts
i tested the ac voltage going into my regulator. Each outside leg had somewhere around 60 coming to it. not sure of the rpm's, my daughter was on the accelerator. However, the middle leg had only around 2 volts. would that mean my stator is bad? I first posted about this in "voltage issue"
If you are measuring AC voltage between each leg, it should definitely not vary that drastically . At 60 volts AC you must have been revving 5000 rpm or better. Doesn't look good for the stator.

Reactions: fswan

·
Premium Member
6,358 Posts
No clue which machine you have, but if it happens to be an '11 800, these are the stator specs;

Text Font Line Number Parallel

Looks like a new stator is in your future...

Reactions: mtimesplitter167

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
Forde is correct-

You should only see a variance between legs of a few volts at most as I recall. It's not so much what voltage they put out exactly at what rpms as much as it it about each leg being equal to each other in output an any rpm. Make sure to test each leg against the other two legs! and do that for each individual leg!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Before you buy a stock replacement. Google search custom stator rebuilding or something like that. I found a place and saved the link but can't find it. I talked to them about my outboard and if I sent them mine they could likely rebuild it and possibly increase the output. They may not rebuild it but could take it as a template to build a new one with more power. How much more power they couldn't tell me till they could see what I had.

Du

·
Registered
408 Posts
Sure sounds like one of the 3 charge coils is open or shorted on the windings, or a wire broke coming out of the coil. Do you drive much in water over the case cover?

You could also meter it and measure the ohms between 2 of the legs, and then each leag to ground, but it sounds like you already know the failing leg.

That rebuild is interesting, all they need to do is increase the inductance of the coils with more windings or change the winding wire to a heavier gauge or a combo of the two. The only thing to watch out for is the rest of the charge system might not be able to safely take it, for example if the max output were to be increased from 60VAC to 120VAC per phase. The regulators use diodes and it would depend what they were rated for before they pop or short out.

Also the regulator output is capped at 500w, I think by a reference voltage from the battery so you would never get any more than 500W out anyway on the high end, but it would help on the lower end up to 5k rpms. --reo

1 - 6 of 6 Posts