PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We went to pick up the new RZR XP4 1000 yesterday at the dealer and man alive, is this thing a head turner!!! Compared to the 900 XP4, the new 1000 appears smaller when close to the 900. That is because the cage is lower, all 4 seats are level, no more sitting up in the air and seeing over the front seats. This part Emily does not like but to me, it looks way better than the 900. It has a mean growl at idle but I'm hoping once it is broken in a little, the idle improves. The loping idle would be cool if it just didn't die!! After idling for a bit, it will just spit and stop. It has done this a lot, so I'm hoping it is the tightness of the engine. Almost every time it dips to 1100 rpm, it spits and stops. When I loaded it up, I noticed the low fuel bar flashing. Having gotten used to that meaning well over 1/4 tank remaining on the 900, I paid no attention to it. The machine had only 3/10 of a mile on it when I loaded it up. We got home, unloaded it and rode up the road maybe 1/2 mile and it started spitting and sputtering and stumbling and then took off like nothing had happened. A few seconds later, that no power coast down started and Emily said "did we just run out of gas?" I could not believe it, there was only enough gas in it to do less than one mile, are you kidding me? So, we were stranded on the side of the road and had my Dad not been home, we would have gotten to hike it home! So, if your new 1000 fuel gauge is flashing, you might want to pay attention at least till you figure out how accurate it is!!!! Even a new car comes with a lot more gas than this and this machine is right there in price with a new car!!!

So, first impressions; it is freaking awesome in a nutshell!!! I am babying it, I mean doing the proper break in at least the first few hours but it is so hard to do!! The power is instantaneous and the suspension is simply out of this world. I really thought the 900 XP4 had a great suspension and a stout engine. This 1000 makes the 900 feel like a horse and buggy in comparison!! I know this is the first time behind the wheel of the 1000 so my opinions may be due to the drool from mouth clouding my vision!! So, I will give you the statement my wife made; "this thing is awesome and I am willing to give up my dream of having a pool for this machine"!!! Now, if you knew how much my wife wanted a pool, this statement would be just as astounding to you as it is to me!!! That is the opinion of the back seat too!! Now, Emily doesn't like the back, she can't see out since all 4 seats are now level. But, from the front passenger seat, I don't think she has stopped grinning yet!! We rode about 12 or 14 miles yesterday, just on roads and through our 50 acres of grass fields and kept varying the throttle. I don't think I have had it wide open yet but just a quick toe to the throttle results in a dang near instantaneous jump to 50 mph! Flying through the fields, nowhere near all the throttle being used and hitting the whoops at 40+ results in air time and a landing so soft you don't know if you left the ground or not. But, according to my mom and dad, it was flying through the air with all 4 wheels airborne!!! Can't wait till I can quit taking it easy!

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
NICE! Can't wait to ride together.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Well any new accessories added yet? If so, pictures?

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Paul, I have been sick since Christmas and have only ridden it a couple times. I have several accessories waiting to go on but only got to pull it in the garage and take a bunch of stuff off to run the busbar harness. I did install the lower doors, pull the heavy harness and get started on the MTX audio system. I took pics of stuff as I went. Then, my body went south!! I did take pics as I went and I managed to get it pieced back together enough to move it to the trailer when I saw it was going to be a while before being able to get back at it. But, here is a list of what I hope to get installed.

1. MTX Overhead Stereo
2. MTX Overhead 2 speaker add on.
3. MTX subwoofer add on.
4. Polaris aluminum roof
5. Polaris poly windshield
6. Polaris poly rear panel
7. Polaris lower doors (completed)
8. Polaris spare tire carrier
9. Polaris rock sliders
10. Polaris UHMW CV/A-arm guards
11. Polaris Trailing arm guard
12. Polaris Extreme Front and Rear Bumpers
13. Thunderhawk rear receiver hitch (new model made to work with Polaris Extreme bumper)
14. Viper Elite 4000 winch (Left over from my 900. Have to get a plate to get this mounted behind the grill.)
15. Lowrance Baja GPS (Left over from my 900. Just have to come up with a mount.)

I'm sure there will be more goodies as I go but you get the idea!! Now, to just get well enough to get back at it.

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
Nice wheels!
Yes , at these prices, you think the dealer would fill the gas tank for you. They do for new cars.
Are all the fluid levels full or only half full as with the 900 rangers?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Very Nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All the fluids were good when I got it but I need to check them again. I think after hearing how dirty the oil has been on some of these, I'm going to do an early oil and filter change, maybe after 5 hours or so.

Thanks, those are the stock wheels. Besides the awesome suspension, one thing you immediately notice on the 1000 is the ton of room between the engine and firewall. There for sure won't be any melting plastic in there, looks like 2 feet of clearance vs 2 or 3 inches on the 900!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Bruce,

You have a beast of a machine! With the added HP and torque you will find that adjustments to shocks and tire pressures on different terrain will have big effects on handling. I have a background in racing sprints on dirt in earlier years, NASCAR racing in the old Gatoraide All Pro series and suspension engineering in the Craftsman Truck Series. My JX responds as predicted for adjustments on the WE shocks and spring preloads. I will have several sets of springs this spring and summer with different spring rates available. I do long for rebound adjustments on my WER shocks and may spring for some goodies from them. I have called around to teams that may have an older shock Dyno available at a reasonable price. No joy there, so far.

With the added HP, hanging the rear end out becomes very controllable, but may cause cheek fatigue problems with the big grins:cupcake:

Have fun!

Michael Guest

2011 Ranger XP 800
2013 RZR Jagged X

·
Registered
13,199 Posts
A very nice looking rig Bruce, congrats.

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bruce,

You have a beast of a machine! With the added HP and torque you will find that adjustments to shocks and tire pressures on different terrain will have big effects on handling. I have a background in racing sprints on dirt in earlier years, NASCAR racing in the old Gatoraide All Pro series and suspension engineering in the Craftsman Truck Series. My JX responds as predicted for adjustments on the WE shocks and spring preloads. I will have several sets of springs this spring and summer with different spring rates available. I do long for rebound adjustments on my WER shocks and may spring for some goodies from them. I have called around to teams that may have an older shock Dyno available at a reasonable price. No joy there, so far.

With the added HP, hanging the rear end out becomes very controllable, but may cause cheek fatigue problems with the big grins:cupcake:

Have fun!

Michael Guest

2011 Ranger XP 800
2013 RZR Jagged X
I will probably be picking your brain this year Michael!!!

·
Registered
24,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Allan. Now to get over the sickness and get back to work on it!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts