PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you fellows are craftsman. Carpenters, welders, whatever- you’re really good at fabricating things from whatever materials you have. I’m not good at that. But… I have a new ETX and found myself in need of a dual crossbow rack. Cheap. Right now.

Now, this can’t even be classified as Carpentry- more like a monkey with a chopsaw- but I believe this dog’ll hunt. I’ll know after the first couple of weekends of bow season in Alabama.

Long story short, I was not sure how I was going to go about this, and I’m sure there are better ways. And even made of wood, there are ways to make a lighter one that would still work. But… I roll out for Alabama from Texas before daylight this Wednesday, and didn’t have time to sort out the finer points of woodworking.

These photos are pretty self-explanatory- started out with a box that fit the dimensions of the inside of the bed. So then what? Thought about it for a bit and ended up doing what you see here- first set up some sockets for the buts of the crossbows, with wedges of 2x6 inside cut to 22.5 degrees. Why 22.5 degrees? It was on the chopsaw dial. Once that was done the crossbows were set in those sockets and I eyeballed where the hooks on the vertical pieces needed to be so that the weight was on both it and the butt of the crossbow.

20161003_120914.jpg

20161005_190854.jpg

20161010_175134.jpg

Slapped on a coat of flat black, and set it up- using velcro strips (not the adhesive kind) to secure the stocks tight in the sockets. It’s heavy enough that it won’t bounce around too much, but I was trying to figure an easy way to make it stable… and my girlfriend (the reason for the dual rack) suggested I just use eyebolts and bungie cords as guy wires. Well then…. They work, and they don’t get in the way of the crossbows, so yep.

20161010_180419.jpg

20161010_180557.jpg

I will only use this two weekends a year, so I stapled the velcro in place. If this turns out to be a workable solution I’ll replace the staples with stainless screws and washers. If you decide to do something like this, make the strap piece that comes over about a half inch longer than the velcro piece it attaches to- that’ll give you something to grab on to.

Well, there’s my caveman solution to a problem. Not fancy, maybe not even good, but I think it’ll work.

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
Welcome to PRC, Rick! Mighty fine first post--identify the problem, fabricate a solution! One other point you may want to consider is a 'ramp' of some sort from your roof to the top of the vertical piece so that if you encounter a low hanging branch it doesn't grab the whole assembly from your bed. Thanks for the idea and the pics, good job!

(P.S. the 22.5° [half of 45°] indent is on your chop saw because it is a common cut when installing crown molding!)

Reactions: PalaceRat

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
Welcome to PRC! Nice job on the xbow rack! Forde has some good advice on ramp thing to prevent and unwanted accidents.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Good job. That's one of the first crossbow racks I've seen. I know there has been quite a few guys on here looking for something like that. It will definitely give them some good ideas. Thanks for posting and welcome aboard

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good design.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks very much-- the ramp is a good idea- I do have it guyed from the back side though- let me see if I have a photo... You can see it a little better here-

20161010_180545.jpg

What I did not like about the Great Day rack (which is pretty nice) is that top of the crossbows look to be sticking up above the roof.

But you know, a guy who is really handy (or had more time) could easily come up with something more refined than this- I'll report back after this has seen some use.

BTW, I have learned a lot from this forum. One thing I learned on my own though-- and this is after years of hauling ATVs in a F150 bed: The ETX can be hauled in a truck bed, but that is not for me. Broke down and bought a trailer after loading and unloading a couple of times!

Rick

1 - 6 of 6 Posts