PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup folks,

SO been doing my rzr170 research homework..First off, thought bout gettin one to avoid chineese stuff..well..i see that backfired in my face. haha,

Ive read about: rear swing arm issues, Snokeling the engine intake, Snokeling the belt drive system, Steering box brace, putting an 11 tooth sprocket on, and i think one other thing was about putting skids on it.

So, my question for yinz is this, HAVE any of these issues been addressed since they were discovered by polaris? OR..if i go look at 2015's, or 2014's, am i gonna find the same issues or am i gonna have a decent machine for my boy?

I dont mind modding things...yinz know that, LOL..but my biggest concern is looks like if i got blow 4k this week, looks like ill need another 1k for MUST HAVE parts in order for the boy to ride on the trails around here. (lets face it, he aint no "Yard" rider..lol)

So whats the deal folks, fill me in.

·
Administrator
6,360 Posts
Don't know if they fixed any of those problems or not - may as well just go ahead and get him a RZR 1000, but a phone book or two on the drivers seat, make some gas/brake pedal extensions and turn him loose!

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
A friend of mine had one of these for his son (I think it was an '11 model) and had to do all of the mod's you describe, plus he installed larger wheels and tires. When driven correctly and with those mod's, it is a capable trail machine.......but is still hindered by lack of ground clearance......even with the larger wheels and tires. But mind you, it would only get high centered in the roughest of places......and the good thing is that it is light enough that you can manhandle it enough to get it off of anything it gets stuck on. You definitely need the snorkel.......before he installed that, it would drown out in puddles that weren't much more than 8" deep.

Overall, they are a good kids machine, but not something intended for serious off-roading. I had considered getting one for my kids, but weighing the money and performance aspects made me realize that dirt bikes were a much better choice. Plus, I wanted them to acquire the clutch operation skills that they might need when it comes time for them to start driving cars.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
mustang I know you don't want Chinese, but look at the pitster pro version of the razr. pitster is a very popular brand that puts out somew very nice stuff. that and its only $2200 instead of 4k!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Jayce. gonna take kid to sit in one and see wtf the down-lo is then make decision. Might just have to run the wheels off his quad for now then wait till he grows a little taller. Chances are, ill splurge, buy one and make pedal adapters. LOL bahhahaha!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts