PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2013 ranger xp 900 is making a single thump sound periodically when the suspension flexes quickly when hitting a pot hole at 15-20 mph. I think it is the tie rod. Inspected passenger front suspension and yanked up and down on tie rod and it makes a thumping sound. The drivers side doesn’t do this. Looseness and noise is coming from the outer, tire side of tie rod. Any suggestions on what’s going on and whether tightening the nut will fix or need to buy parts?

Also, while inspecting, I noticed both boots are torn loose and the oem part is $48 each, wow. Any less expensive suggestions?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I tried to attach a short video of the thumping but it would allow me but can provide if needed to assist. Thx.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any ideas?

·
Registered
473 Posts
The best thing to do is jack up the front and grab the tire at 9 & 3 then 12 & 6 and move the tire back and forth and look for play on the tie rod end and also the ball joints and a-arm bushings. If there is excessive play in any of those parts they will need to be replaced.

The CV boots that are torn can be replaced if caught early enough but if the joint has lost it's grease, has dirt and debris or make a popping sound when driving then the entire axle will need replacing.

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
"Also, while inspecting, I noticed both boots are torn loose and the oem part is $48 each, wow. Any less expensive suggestions? "

EBAY.COM

·
Registered
7 Posts
My 2013 ranger xp 900 is making a single thump sound periodically when the suspension flexes quickly when hitting a pot hole at 15-20 mph. I think it is the tie rod. Inspected passenger front suspension and yanked up and down on tie rod and it makes a thumping sound. The drivers side doesn’t do this. Looseness and noise is coming from the outer, tire side of tie rod. Any suggestions on what’s going on and whether tightening the nut will fix or need to buy parts?

Also, while inspecting, I noticed both boots are torn loose and the oem part is $48 each, wow. Any less expensive suggestions?
You can buy an after market complete axle assembly from East Lake Axles for $80.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Or ADR axles for 75.00 each from Super ATV. I swear they are the same as the Rhinos, without the 1 year warranty.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I recall several years ago there was a thread about gitting axles from O'reilly's Auto Parts
I did a little digging and came up with this.
I looked up real quick the part number for a front axle on O'reilly's site and they have it as a good part number but at $132 each. You are better off with another company such as Super ATV ADR axles

1 - 9 of 9 Posts