PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I made some room in the shop to pull the Ranger in for installation of the Safety Glass Tip-Out Windshield. Its a pretty straight forward installation, but on my particular Ranger, I had to make a couple of minor modifications in order to make it fit right.

Here's what you get in the kit

Installation Instructions

Remove the top of the dashboard to install the attachment catch and drill a hole for the post to stick out of

I then laid the windshield in place to align and mount the hinges to the top of the roll cage

I meant to snap a pic of the hinge mount, but forgot. Here you can see where I used shims to align the windshield before snugging down the hinge fasteners. This job would be easier with a helper. I was working alone

The shock mounts are already attached to the windshield, but you need to attach the lower ball mounts to the Ranger's roll cage

As you can see from this picture, I had to do some modifications in order to make the dash mount post line up. It became apparent that the roll cage on this Ranger is slightly out of kilter

In order to make the post high enough to achieve an adequate 'catch' on the handle, I had to stack some washers under the post mount.

Here's a couple of additional pics

·
Registered
72 Posts
Nice write up. I put my windshield on this evening and then came in and seen this post. Although not a huge job it wish I would have seen it before I did it.

I like that you drilled the hole on the dash vs. cutting per the instructions. I have not done the cutting yet so I may very well drill. It will give a cleaner cut vs. trying to cut a straight line.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Another great write-up Randy. Picked up my Ranger yesterday and noticed the same issue. Read your post and installed 2 washers per bolt and......Bingo! Latch now works perfectly. Thanks for the detailed write-up.

·
Super Moderator
6,742 Posts
I did the exact same, it appears your windshield lined up better than mine. I am either going to have to modify my hinges or the holes in the cage. Mine needs to rotate a little to the left, this will help line up the handle hole with the latch pin, and will give me equal spacing between the glass and the rollcage.

·
Registered
7,069 Posts
Good write up Randy! I just got my new 900 XP Sunset Red from Chris Ball, Ball Equipment a couple days ago. Really love that new cab and windshield. Superior to any thing Polaris has had before. Chris put the cab on for me and I really appreciated that. From a old Mechanics view point they really did some nice things with access points on this new 900. That dash area is one of them. Another thing that impressed me was how well the machine was laid out and put together. Fit and finish was tops and not like the previous models of years gone by. My only gripe and concern is the Engine air intake. They sure could have done some thing better than a natural funnel to dump water right into the engine. Being aware this was an issue that needs to be addressed by Polaris I was washing my new 900 and almost without even thinking I sprayed water right into it. Fortunately I caught myself in time and didn't get a lot in it. If they don't do any thing I will figure out some thing. Other that this machine is a real torque monster! Love the get and go it has. :) It feels more like driving a small truck with forward look out the front with the nice windshield. Yes,love the Power Steering! :) I too was impressed with the head lights. Best ever for a Polaris!

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Toxic-21 said:
I did the exact same, it appears your windshield lined up better than mine. I am either going to have to modify my hinges or the holes in the cage. Mine needs to rotate a little to the left, this will help line up the handle hole with the latch pin, and will give me equal spacing between the glass and the rollcage.
That was my issue too, Greg. I had to modify the cage holes slightly on the passenger side (VERY slightly). It works good now, but its apparent the cage is slightly out-of-kilter. On the driver's side, the gap between the windshield and the edge of the channel is consistent. But on the passenger side the gap tapers (tighter on the top than on the bottom).

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the write up and the pictures.

How did you know exactly where to drill the hole for the latch peg? Careful measuring?

TW

·
Registered
22,957 Posts
One other thing I did on my installation. I put some vaseline on the rubber gromlet in the latch catch for the first tip out position. It works a lot smoother and will protect the rubber from wear. Very nice write up Randy...I'm sure you will save some folks a little time with their installation!

·
Registered
18,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Marvy Joe said:

How did you know exactly where to drill the hole for the latch peg? Careful measuring?

TW
TW...there's a "V" cut-out indicated on the underside of the dash, but I decided a round hole would look better. But I still (as you guessed) did some 'careful' measuring to determine the hole location..

·
Registered
22,957 Posts
Ran said:
Marvy Joe said:

TW
TW...there's a "V" cut-out indicated on the underside of the dash, but I decided a round hole would look better. But I still (as you guessed) did some 'careful' measuring to determine the hole location..
We mounted the post and put the down to where it touched the dash. We put a dab of grease on the top of the post first so that it would mark the underside of the dash. We made the hole a little bigger than needed for adjustment room (looks better than cutting the v in my opinion) The actual fit is a little touchy, so we still had to trim the hole for a good fit. There is probably an easier way to mark it, but our way worked. We took the dash top in and out several times during the fitting, but fortunately Polaris has made the dash very easy to get in and out. That will make it great for adding swithces, ignitions or whatever.

·
Registered
552 Posts
As I recall, I ended up tweaking (bending) the sheet metal that the pots bolts to forward and upward to get it to latch properly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Ran said:
Today, I made some room in the shop to pull the Ranger in for installation of the Safety Glass Tip-Out Windshield. Its a pretty straight forward installation, but on my particular Ranger, I had to make a couple of minor modifications in order to make it fit right.

Here's what you get in the kit

Installation Instructions

Remove the top of the dashboard to install the attachment catch and drill a hole for the post to stick out of

I then laid the windshield in place to align and mount the hinges to the top of the roll cage

I meant to snap a pic of the hinge mount, but forgot. Here you can see where I used shims to align the windshield before snugging down the hinge fasteners. This job would be easier with a helper. I was working alone

The shock mounts are already attached to the windshield, but you need to attach the lower ball mounts to the Ranger's roll cage

As you can see from this picture, I had to do some modifications in order to make the dash mount post line up. It became apparent that the roll cage on this Ranger is slightly out of kilter

In order to make the post high enough to achieve an adequate 'catch' on the handle, I had to stack some washers under the post mount.

Here's a couple of additional pics

Hi great install. Its getting a little cold up in norther WI and I'm ready to have a windshield on two weeks ago.lol. I'm having a hard time finding where to buy a poly tip out online or even finding any info on pricing. where did you order yours from and what are they asking for them if you don't mind me asking?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Jay the Polaris Industries website lists the poly tip out as part # 2880091, and here is the description. The problem is they describe a glass windshield in the narrative but the material states polycarbonate. I believe the part # is correct though and you should be able to order it through any Polaris dealer.

Edit (10/30/13): The correct part # for the 2013 is actually 2878855 and it list for $800.

Color: Clear
Material: .236” thick polycarbonate
Scratch and Shatter Proof

- See more at: 2014 Polaris RANGER XP 900 Sage Green Side by Side : Build[/quote]

Good luck
Bud

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having an issue with the latching in the most closed position. Mine may be missing something. Does anyone have a good close up picture of the outer most hole for latch up in the closed position? It may be I'm missing a grommet there or something. There is none on mine. Its metal And I can't think they would design it to be metal on metal. Particularly since the second position, vent position, has a nice grommet.

Now... mind you that the plate that my post bracket attaches to in my Browning edition is not the same as yours is showing. And the bracket uses two different holes in this plate. It has oblong holes but there are not enough adjustment to perfectly line up. I'll snap a picture of this newer style bracket I am dealing with and post it up here in a few minutes.

I know had to do some slight work on the pin location by taking a set of vice grips and giving it a tweak of a bend to get the pin centered into the hole. There was not quite enough adjustment in the bracket slots.

Added on edit: Here is the latest bracket type and location on this new Browning that I just bought...

Thanks in advance!

Phil

·
Super Moderator
6,742 Posts
I'm having an issue with the latching in the most closed position. Mine may be missing something. Does anyone have a good close up picture of the outer most hole for latch up in the closed position? It may be I'm missing a grommet there or something. There is none on mine. Its metal And I can't think they would design it to be metal on metal. Particularly since the second position, vent position, has a nice grommet.

I know am going to have to do some slight work on the pin location but dare not start until I know I have the right latch arrangement.

Thanks in advance!

Phil
There is no grommet for the first (closed) hole, just the second (vent) hole. I modified the hinge bolt holes at the top of the cage, I had to (tweek) it a little to the right, if your standing facing the unit (front).

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is no grommet for the first (closed) hole, just the second (vent) hole. I modified the hinge bolt holes at the top of the cage, I had to (tweek) it a little to the right, if your standing facing the unit (front).
Ok... Just did that. But I already had mine all the way to the right and that just lined it up however it was too low away from the hole.... so I Bent the whole attachment bracket forward to lift it up a bit. Lines up now. Not the best system though I got to say. Another nice grommet would have been ideal I would think. Ill just have to get it bent right to stay but yet latch easily enough. I'm close now.

·
Super Moderator
6,742 Posts
Dean is correct, sounds like you need to move the post back, toward the seat.
You should have to compress the seal, while pulling on the handle and then the hole in the handle should just barely clear the post. Then when you release the handle, the window seal when it expands should keep the handle snug against the post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 41 Posts