PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wondering about what tire pressures folks run. this 1999 came with an excellent set of 6 Carlisle ACTX/LR 25x11R10. the sidewall reads: 7 PSI MAX. i am preparing to collect maple sap later this winter and am working a dry creek bed with large stones and some relatively steep grades. in the process, i am bringing out relatively large loads of firewood. are tire pressures other than the listed 7 PSI useful for specific situations, or is the rule to just run 7 PSI no matter what kind of work, terrain and load is involved.

all the best,
~~~^^^larry^^^~~~

·
Registered
22,346 Posts
I had nothing but problems with every Carlisle tire I've ever owned, including the ones that came on my '06 XP. It's very rocky here in east TN and I was getting one pinch flat after another when trying to run 10 psi and less. I upped that to 14 psi and things improved a lot, but the problem didn't really go away until I upgraded tires to Bighorns......problem solved.

To answer your question........if it's rocky (and especially if you're carrying a load), I wouldn't run less than 10 psi and would probably run 14 to 15 unless it was extremely muddy and I felt that I needed maximum traction. I don't think you'll have any traction issues with the 6x6.

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
The Commander is spot on. If it's rocky, air up. It's very rocky where I ride. I keep my Carlisles at max pressure and not so much as a slow leak in 3800 miles.:glee::encouragement:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the tire pressure info and experiences. my pressure gauge says each tire now has 16 lbs. makes sense that rocks demand tires be aired up. this dry creek bed i am running has both sandstone with mostly rounded edges and also some limestone with some sharper edges in places. let's see how this works out. been lucky so far. got into the creek bed yesterday for the first time and brought out a few loads of wood. had not checked the tires until this morning. some did not register on the gauge and some had 20 psi.

thanks again,
~~~^^^larry^^^~~~

·
Registered
408 Posts
had not checked the tires until this morning. some did not register on the gauge and some had 20 psi.

thanks again,
~~~^^^larry^^^~~~
Sounds like you may be using a pressure gauge made for pressures typical for a car or maybe a truck. If you want accurate pressure readings for your SXS you should purchase a low pressure gauge, say from 0 to 20 or 25 lbs. These gauges will give you a much more accurate reading of the tire pressures on your Ranger.

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,359 Posts
I had nothing but problems with every Carlisle tire I've ever owned, including the ones that came on my '06 XP...
I remember reading one of your posts years ago about you having multiple flats on one ride in your '06 with the Carlisle's. Looked at my 800XP sitting still in the driveway and was convinced that all 4 tires were going to blow any second. Called ATV Outfitters that day and 3 days later the 800 was wearing Bighorns! Between you Pressure Drop, I'm a much poorer man (but I've never had a flat!!). :untroubled:

·
Registered
451 Posts
I was running 10 lbs in my stock Carlisles on multipurpose trails. Trying 8 lbs on the new Buzz Saw tires.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts