PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello PRC members, new to forum.
have a 570 fullsize, 2018, and wanted to use a DOT car/truck tire for longevity. I use my "little truck" (what I call my ranger) on road quite a bit, at current have 2500 miles on it and tires are shot. I don't want to keep spending $450 plus every 2500 miles for stock tires. So I researched a bit. Went to Dennis Kirk's website and found a steel wheel to upgrade the tires to 14" (more tire options in the 14" rim size, RockyMountainATVMC also has them) as I don't want aluminum wheels, seen too many that have been cracked/broke on trials. The steel wheels are ITP 1422320014B. Dennis Kirk claims they will fit my machine BOTH front and back...was thinking of getting these rims along with Kumho Road Venture MT 27 X8.50 R14 LT tires.
The issues I cannot find answers to are: this Kumho tire is probably a lot heavier than the stock tire and will this impact the drive line and over stress it including the drive belt?? Will this tire/rim combo rub?? I dont really care that all tires are the same width, which is different than my stock tires (front is narrower than rear). So with all this in mind, I happen to go to my local tire shop for a vehicle tire repair and asked one of their sales people about this...they claim it would rub, didnt say if it would over stress the driveline but then proceeded to recommend Tusk Terrabite tires, which they claim have DOT certification and I could get them in stock sizes so I wouldn't have to buy extra rims. Sales guy said he had the same tires on his Ranger and over 5000 miles and still meaty. Pricey tho' 4 terrabites is almost the same price as buying the 14" steel rims and LT tires. I just wonder if the Kumho would last longer, and being a LT tire it probably has to be inflated to 32PSI minimum? at 32PSI in an LT tire, thats going to be one heck of rough ride?
Any thoughts would be appreciated, even some reviews of the Tusk tires if possible? Thank you much.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Love my Terrabite's.....I'm running them at 25psi but going to drop that a little ......I went one size over stock but the rear ones could have been bigger .

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
What price did they hit you with for the terabytes? And what size?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
What price did they hit you with for the terabytes? And what size?
I got quoted 670 for all 4 terrabites, 2 in front are 25-8R12 (stock size) and 25-10R12 (stock size) rear. If I went the other way with 14" rims and Kumho LT tires it comes to about 688 plus tax. I've read online where some people have put LT tires on their ranger and they last a long long time....but Im iffy on it. When the salesman for the terrabites said the General Grabber tires they had in 14" rim, 27" outside diameter of tire, (if I would have gotten 14" from them instead of stock sized terrabites) said the 27" x 14" rim tires would rub, he never said where it would rub and I was wondering if he means the top of the tire would rub on Strut etc. Dont they make wheel spacers for Rangers? Im thinking along the lines of cars/trucks and its different for UTV's.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got mine from Amazon and they were 550 ish .
I know there are cheaper ways to get the terrabites, but If I buy local from the tire shop, they fix em if there are issues/warranty work etc. and they will mount and balance the tires...I never knew UTV tires were balanced, but thank you for the input.

How have your tires held up?? how many miles have you put on them??

·
Registered
717 Posts
I know there are cheaper ways to get the terrabites, but If I buy local from the tire shop, they fix em if there are issues/warranty work etc. and they will mount and balance the tires...I never knew UTV tires were balanced, but thank you for the input.

How have your tires held up?? how many miles have you put on them??
I've only got 300 miles so far .....But no signs of use yet . :cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
27 on front.....I wouldn't go any bigger without forward A arms .
Thank you, so you are saying the 14" steel rims would work along with the Kumho LT tires?? I looked at the tire specs and the outside diameter of the tire is 26.8" not exactly 27" and the width (aspect ratio) is 8.5 and I measured the stock tire (front) width it was about 8" so these Kumho's would be 1/2" wider?? but as the rim size would increase to 14" and raise the tire tread area higher its actually further away from strut because the strut is not perfectly up down, its at an angle..goes inward as it comes up from the hub. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I ran the general grabbers for a while. I dont see how they would rub? Were only talking a half inch wider tan stock. Thats 1/4" each side of the tire. Think they were 28-29lbs a piece. Not bad at all.
What i didn't like about them is they rode harsh on the trail. No sidewall flex. I ran them at 15 psi. Any less and was worried about a pinch flat on any sharp bumps. If your only running dirt roads....there a nice tire. Did surprisingly in snow also. Wet grass....was like you were on ice.

Ive researched the terrabites back when i was shoe shopping. Guys were very happy with them. Some with 3000+ miles and said well over half tred left.

Me personally....would not go back to a truck tire unless i was only running backroads and pavement.

Reactions: littletruck570

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ran the general grabbers for a while. I dont see how they would rub? Were only talking a half inch wider tan stock. Thats 1/4" each side of the tire. Think they were 28-29lbs a piece. Not bad at all.
What i didn't like about them is they rode harsh on the trail. No sidewall flex. I ran them at 15 psi. Any less and was worried about a pinch flat on any sharp bumps. If your only running dirt roads....there a nice tire. Did surprisingly in snow also. Wet grass....was like you were on ice.

Ive researched the terrabites back when i was shoe shopping. Guys were very happy with them. Some with 3000+ miles and said well over half tred left.

Me personally....would not go back to a truck tire unless i was only running backroads and pavement.
Thank you for the input, the pinch flat part was surprising because the general grabbers have a 3 ply sidewall and the Kumho has a 2 ply sidewall, so I imagine it would flex more...but that might increase the "pinch flat" at say 15psi. One thing I will note tho' is that the tread pattern between the General Grabbers and the Kumho MT is vastly different, it seems to me that the General Grabber would do better on road in snow/ice conditions and not so good in mud. I use my "little truck" on the farm in muddy/woods & brush, and I do drive it from our current house to farm or work and these are county roads, I only go on trails once in a while, I try not to drive it in winter because it doesn't have heat or doors and it can get cold driving it. Im still not decided yet, one of the issues that keeps popping up with the terrabites is sizing is not correct when the tires are manufactured, meaning some are reporting tire sizes SMALLER than what was advertised.
Again, appreciate the advice/info.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Thank you for the input, the pinch flat part was surprising because the general grabbers have a 3 ply sidewall and the Kumho has a 2 ply sidewall, so I imagine it would flex more...but that might increase the "pinch flat" at say 15psi. One thing I will note tho' is that the tread pattern between the General Grabbers and the Kumho MT is vastly different, it seems to me that the General Grabber would do better on road in snow/ice conditions and not so good in mud. I use my "little truck" on the farm in muddy/woods & brush, and I do drive it from our current house to farm or work and these are county roads, I only go on trails once in a while, I try not to drive it in winter because it doesn't have heat or doors and it can get cold driving it. Im still not decided yet, one of the issues that keeps popping up with the terrabites is sizing is not correct when the tires are manufactured, meaning some are reporting tire sizes SMALLER than what was advertised.
Again, appreciate the advice/info.
Im sure they will be fine for your intended use then. They most likely will outlast your ranger.
I wouldn't worry about any rubbing. Just make sure the rims he orders have a 4+3 offset and you'll be good to go. As you mentioned earlier....thay make wheel spacers in the off chance. I highly doubt it though.

Reactions: littletruck570

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello PRC members, new to forum.
have a 570 fullsize, 2018, and wanted to use a DOT car/truck tire for longevity. I use my "little truck" (what I call my ranger) on road quite a bit, at current have 2500 miles on it and tires are shot. I don't want to keep spending $450 plus every 2500 miles for stock tires. So I researched a bit. Went to Dennis Kirk's website and found a steel wheel to upgrade the tires to 14" (more tire options in the 14" rim size, RockyMountainATVMC also has them) as I don't want aluminum wheels, seen too many that have been cracked/broke on trials. The steel wheels are ITP 1422320014B. Dennis Kirk claims they will fit my machine BOTH front and back...was thinking of getting these rims along with Kumho Road Venture MT 27 X8.50 R14 LT tires.
The issues I cannot find answers to are: this Kumho tire is probably a lot heavier than the stock tire and will this impact the drive line and over stress it including the drive belt?? Will this tire/rim combo rub?? I dont really care that all tires are the same width, which is different than my stock tires (front is narrower than rear). So with all this in mind, I happen to go to my local tire shop for a vehicle tire repair and asked one of their sales people about this...they claim it would rub, didnt say if it would over stress the driveline but then proceeded to recommend Tusk Terrabite tires, which they claim have DOT certification and I could get them in stock sizes so I wouldn't have to buy extra rims. Sales guy said he had the same tires on his Ranger and over 5000 miles and still meaty. Pricey tho' 4 terrabites is almost the same price as buying the 14" steel rims and LT tires. I just wonder if the Kumho would last longer, and being a LT tire it probably has to be inflated to 32PSI minimum? at 32PSI in an LT tire, thats going to be one heck of rough ride?
Any thoughts would be appreciated, even some reviews of the Tusk tires if possible? Thank you much.
I run 27x8.50x14 on my ploaris ranger 500 truck tires and I will not run anything but kumho they don't wear at all I ride on hwy alot .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I run 27x8.50x14 on my ploaris ranger 500 truck tires and I will not run anything but kumho they don't wear at all I ride on hwy alot .
Thank you for the response...Last week, decided to buy the 14" ITP steel rims/lugnuts and Kumho Road Venture MT 27 X8.50 R14 LT tires. Total cost was about 800 but Im hoping these will last me a very long time, they sure look real meaty, much different than the online pics show...if they last me even 15,000 miles...that's 6 stock tire changes (which average me 2500 miles) @ 400 per tire change which equals 2400 bucks, so I save 1600 in just over 15,000 miles, and if they last even longer..GREAT! more savings for me. And like you, I use my ranger on the road a lot. It will be nice to have a 14" rim for more tire choice flexibility.

Anyways, I gotta ask, what tire pressure do you run your tires at? 15PSI or 20PSI etc.

I hope to have the tires mounted by the end of this week if I have time, then send em out for balancing. Once I have them balanced ill take before and after pics and hopefully get it poster here for others to see.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts