PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2011 ranger 400 mid. I got it a few months ago and when i got it the guy said the oil had been changed not to long ago. It has the dry sump pump and the oil is in reservoir. The dip stick in the reservoir reeds over the full line. Can this cause a problem? Or can i just leave it how it is? Heading down to Boggs and boulders in Andalusia, AL when i get off at 5. thanks in advance for any replies!

·
Registered
891 Posts
you can easily drain a small amount of oil through the drain plug in the oil tank, I would be more concerned where the extra oil is coming from! Did the previous own just overfill at the oil change or is the tank "gaining" volume from an outside source...I.E. gas or water!!!

Cheers

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just changed mine today and it was a little high on the stick (maybe 1/2- 3/4"). I have read that if you do a lot of short trips (which I do) in cooler climates that the condensation the tank can accumulate and cause the level to go up. I do notice a milky residue on mine at the tank neck, but when I changed it today no water came out and the oil was not at all milky. Mine did not smell of gas at all. In fact the oil looked nearly new. I am going to write it off to a little condensation build up and/ or I overfilled the tank a little at my last change. I would not be overly concerned with it unless your oil gets milky or it starts to "make" oil all of the time and you notice the level constantly going up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies guys! It ran perfect all weekend so i guess I Am not to concerned about it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I would only add that if you do need to lower the tank oil level it's probably more easily done from the top using either an antifreeze tester or turkey baster. Cleaner and much easier to control than draining oil from the bottom.​

1 - 6 of 6 Posts