PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy All,
I posted this the other day and several people were very helpful. But I am still not sure I don’t have an injection problem. What does the engine performance do when you hit the rev. limit? I don’t think this missing and cutting out feels correct.

”I recently sold my 2006, 500cc carburetor version and now have a new 2007, 500cc EFI version that is just reaching the 25 hours break-in period. I have an odd hesitation or miss when at full throttle while reaching maximum speed. Here in Costa Rica it is street legal so I occasionally use it on the road to and from work. This problem is only noticeable at full RPM after I reach high speed. It runs fine at all other speed and conditions but bogs down at top speed (RPM). Does this machine with the EFI have a rev-limiter or do I have an injection problem at top end? The dealer here is 7 hours away and not much help. Any information will be appreciated.”
Bruce

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes it has a rev limiter. What kind of rpm does it run a top end?

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
They do cut out and hesitate when you hit the rev limiter.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, alnash & carnivore,
My 2007 500cc EFI does not have any gages so I do know what RPM's I am reaching at top end. I am having problems at as I reach higher speeds on the road. The top speed seems to be about the same or slower than my 2006 carb. version. It just seems that when I reach higher RPM I still have throttle left and it starts to miss and hesitate. I am only on about 20 hours but I think I will change the fuel filter and check to see if there is some restriction in the fuel lines. I am not clear what happens when you reach the rev limit. Does it surge and hesitate like fuel problem? I am just trying to understand the cause to make sure I don't have a more serious problem.
Thanks again,
Bruce

·
Registered
28,607 Posts
When you hit the soft limiter it will hesitate and slow down the acceleration, then when it hits the hard limiter it will stutter, kind of like it will cut in and out rapidly. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info, it does sound like that is the problem. Yesterday on the trail is stalled once after a hard run and then stayed at a high idle when I stopped. Performance went back to normal after a restart and it performs fine at most speeds. I am going to do fuel filter change and check the lines for restrictions, but I am relieved that it does not seem to indicate any severe problems.
Thank you for the input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts