PRC Polaris Ranger Club banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning to install a Hunterworks belt on my 2019 Ranger 900 this afternoon. I've watched the Hunterworks videos and read the related tech articles. I have the belt and their standard (white) washer. The washer is where my question comes in. I know where it goes and what it does. I know the torque for the primary clutch bolt is 96 foot pounds (Todd mentioned that in the videos). What I don't have is the torque settings for the clutch cover plate bolts. At one point, Todd says the value is "7" but at another point he mentions "inch pounds" in a video where he's talking about using an impact wrench to tighten these (I'm not skillful enough with an impact to try that myself). 7 inch pounds can't possibly be right so I assume 7 foot pounds is the setting.

So - what is the torque setting for the clutch cover plate bolts?

And - Todd also mentioned the clutch cover could be removed on the Ranger without removing the center bolt (but not on a Razor). Do you know if this is true?

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Seems.like i recall a 100 inch lbs. Which works out to about 8 ft lbs. So your right in there I think.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Call Todd not just for the information but that he can clarify on his video too.
I emailed him. He cautioned me to not torque anything but rather use the impact driver like he does in the videos. That's certainly easier and faster.

Todd said that most of the time the method for holding the clutch while applying torque was what caused damage. He is the guy who has more experience at this than anyone I know for sure. And - I'm not sure my local Polaris dealer's shop even owns a torque wrench (they just don't seem like they are that precise) so they likely use an impact driver too. There is a possibility I can take the clutch cover off without removing the center bolt. That would make any concern about torque a non-issue.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think the reason for the concern is when people use foot lbs instead of inch lbs.

I have a 1/4in SnapOn torque wrench so I do follow torque recommendations.

This is for my 2014 Crew 900.

CVT torque specs.JPG

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah - if you mix up inch pounds and foot pounds that’s big trouble. I’ve heard of it happening but I don’t think I’ve ever done it. Then again, maybe I just can’t remember the painful outcome.

·
Registered
69 Posts
290 ft lbs on the drive clutch spider? that cant be right.

·
Registered
981 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow - that’s sure not something I could do at home. How can you get that much torque without some kind of machine?

·
Registered
981 Posts
They sell a holding fixture for the clutch you bolt down to your work bench or the likes. Then all's you need is a big azz torque wrench and a cheater bar.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Id also caution against using an impact driver on the clutch cover bolts. 8 ft lbs ain't much. I just snug them up with a 1/4 drive ratchet. Doesn't take much and they ain't going anywhere. My electric impact driver does 1800 inch pounds. Way more than the 100 specs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Whoa! I have a torque wrench that goes to 200 (I think) that I bought for tightening bolts on a fifth-wheel trailer hitch. I thought that was tight but 290 is almost more than I can think about.

·
Registered
544 Posts
20190318_191852.jpg
A 1/4in and a 3/4 in torque wrench.

Got the 3/4 when I got the Hunterwork's tool set for the primary.

·
Registered
981 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts